PDA

View Full Version : Magic Skills Question

Monocyte
10-16-2010, 06:22 PM
I am new to forgive my ignorance.

I have been reading that Lances are the preferred choice over Cannons. Why is that? Cannons are higher level.

I also found Terra to be the choice over Lightning. Why is that? Lightning is higher level too.

Error
10-17-2010, 04:59 AM
It comes down to DPS, Damage per second. If one were to actually calculate it or look at a damage calculator, lances prevail in DPS over cannons.

This is because lances are casted faster than cannons and lightning skills are slower than normal skills. Terra also has a higher amp value than the other lances casted at 1.3 sec.

Enso
10-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Pretty much it comes down to which skills are faster. Lances are the most powerful of the 1.3 cast time skills (discounting Crit shot and shadow shot which are obviously better than cannons in terms of dps).

WIPwns.
10-17-2010, 05:54 PM
drilled shot > terra lance

otice1
10-17-2010, 06:11 PM
drilled shot > terra lance

Prismatic arrow > Drilled Shot

Prove me wrong

rectumcanal
10-17-2010, 06:33 PM
poison arrow....you know...for the splash effect with hp down?

Enso
10-18-2010, 08:43 AM
poison arrow....you know...for the splash effect with hp down?

For me the DPS loss from casting poison arrow doesn't make up for the HP down... I know what you're gonna say "what about AoD FS???" But I just don't attack them at all... it's a royal waste of time.

Also... I don't have enough skill points. x.x

Registering
10-19-2010, 10:43 AM
End game do you guys even use Cannons? I'm finding myself potentially low on skill points if I decide I want cannons too.

I'm sitting on 139 points left with Stone Cannon at 12, no Vital Regen (probably not getting this), no Eagle (waiting on 140 to max this), Lv 1 curse remove (not sure if I'm going to 20), and everything else is standard. Rest of the buffs are maxed, 9/20/9 on my 3 main AoEs (sonic, shadow shot, gravity), crit at 20, and 3 lances at 20.

I think I have enough points to max stone cannon, max lightning cannon and dump the rest into curse remove but I dunno if I want to do that yet. Personally I don't even have stone cannon bound to a key because for PvE I tend to do sonic, shadow, gravity and rotate between those 3 skills. In PvP I just spam crit and lances, stun when needed, then finish with lvl 20 shooting star.

Do you guys just spam crit + 3 lances vs bosses when you're not in BM2 end game?

Enso
10-19-2010, 10:58 AM
I spam Crit, shadow, and two lances. o.o

realowner
10-19-2010, 11:12 AM
i prefer cannons cause lances are ghay

MamaMiaYoe
10-19-2010, 02:37 PM
End game do you guys even use Cannons? I'm finding myself potentially low on skill points if I decide I want cannons too.

I'm sitting on 139 points left with Stone Cannon at 12, no Vital Regen (probably not getting this), no Eagle (waiting on 140 to max this), Lv 1 curse remove (not sure if I'm going to 20), and everything else is standard. Rest of the buffs are maxed, 9/20/9 on my 3 main AoEs (sonic, shadow shot, gravity), crit at 20, and 3 lances at 20.

I think I have enough points to max stone cannon, max lightning cannon and dump the rest into curse remove but I dunno if I want to do that yet. Personally I don't even have stone cannon bound to a key because for PvE I tend to do sonic, shadow, gravity and rotate between those 3 skills. In PvP I just spam crit and lances, stun when needed, then finish with lvl 20 shooting star.

Do you guys just spam crit + 3 lances vs bosses when you're not in BM2 end game?

Lances are faster compared to cannons, they make as good fillers in combo for pvp, my 109 wiz has 854 magic attack, I think thats a pretty high amount for its level and I saw lances to be more effective in pvp than cannons.

Cannon though are good for me in pve, stunlock they hold enemy well.

Registering
10-19-2010, 03:53 PM
854 is almost exactly what I have without condense at 138 (did all rank ups too), I'd say that's pretty high. :D

Do they stun bosses (as opposed to lances not stunning them but occasionally knocking them back)?

Enso
10-20-2010, 06:46 AM
No. Cannons do not stun.

Registering
10-20-2010, 01:09 PM
I see no real reason for them then. 9/20/9 is a continuous (assuming the stun lands) stun out of combo in PvE with 2x 3 radius AoEs. While it's possible to get 5 lobs or 6-7 of the 163ish PF mobs together for a 2 radius AoE to hit I'm not sure if it's worth not using shadow shot sometimes to throw out a level 20 cannon every few rotations.

Enso
10-20-2010, 01:33 PM
I've found that if you position yourself right, you can hit more mobs with lances than cannons.