PDA

View Full Version : Forum Moderator

Rapturen
04-17-2010, 04:38 PM
With the recent outbreak of Off-topic and unacceptable topics, I suggest we have a team (3-4 people) of normal players to monitor the forums.

Obviously the GM's do not have the time to look over these forums 24/7 and I don't expect them to either.

I have observed this practice on many different forums and have worked great. Only good would come from this idea.

I suggest that a Moderator team be created. These Moderator's would have the ability to Lock, Delete, and Move topics as well as Edit posts. The Moderator's would have to follow guidelines and must not abuse their power.

I know there will be cases where a Moderator might abuse his/her power. To counter this problem, the community would just simply report the Moderator and the GM's would take care of it.

This would be sort of the Watcher program we had back in OGP but just for the forums.

Methods for selecting a team of Moderators are varied. Normal players will volunteer to help the community. The community could just vote for their Moderators (with GM approval) or GM's could just evaluate who are the best candidates and create a team themselves.

NOTE: No special treatment should be awarded to the moderators.

The result of this would be a cleaner forum environment for all aspects of the community.

--

Thank you for reading this suggestion and feel free to express your opinions.

Sheep
04-17-2010, 04:43 PM
i sense corruption.:
Original: "i love cabal"
Mod edit: "i love MEN"
lol. why don't they censor things in forums anyway? why do they have to censor things at all? it's not like 8 year olds are here >_>

Rapturen
04-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Your right, that's why not anybody would be a Moderator.

Sheep
04-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Your right, that's why not anybody would be a Moderator.

i don't like the idea of editing someone else's post at all, tbh.
And like i said, why do they even block swearing in this game?

GuardianPat
04-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Its a good idea to have moderators for the forum.

When the GMs are not there, their job is to clean inappropriated threads. we have so far 5+ inappropriated threads and most of the population are like under 18...

I like the idea but moderators should not abuse their powers! And united people > moderators

JuannyBear
04-17-2010, 05:06 PM
The moderators Idea would be good, but the problem is if the Mod Powers would land in the hands of someone immature, they would be doing stuff like what Sheep Said in post 1.
Although I disagree on banning foul language. Sometimes its fun to talk like that with your friends in your guild and stuff, but other people would use it to piss someone off or be insulting. It seems people like saying the word ''" alot for all the wrong purposes. I personally find it annoying. The person saying it might not find it insulting, but for others, it is.

Rapturen
04-17-2010, 05:14 PM
IF a Moderator does become abusive you could just report him to the GM's via Help desk and strip him/her of their powers or just get the Moderator banned.

Sheep
04-17-2010, 05:36 PM
IF a Moderator does become abusive you could just report him to the GM's via Help desk and strip him/her of their powers or just get the Moderator banned.

and we all know that help desk takes ages..

JuannyBear
04-17-2010, 05:38 PM
and we all know that help desk takes ages..

lol so true

LastHour
04-17-2010, 05:41 PM
The moderators Idea would be good, but the problem is if the Mod Powers would land in the hands of someone immature, they would be doing stuff like what Sheep Said in post 1.
Although I disagree on banning foul language. Sometimes its fun to talk like that with your friends in your guild and stuff, but other people would use it to piss someone off or be insulting. It seems people like saying the word ''" alot for all the wrong purposes. I personally find it annoying. The person saying it might not find it insulting, but for others, it is.

Agreed, we needn't remind ourselves how well the GA program turned out for mercury when like what, all 3 were in the same guild on top of being corrupt? I wouldn't dream of trusting NA's population with such things.

Not to mention like half of the current forum users are nothing but trolls. If your going to hand out infractions to them or close every thread they post in there won't be anything left of these forums, NA forums were never that active to begin with. Going off topic happens to every thread eventually, if a new idea comes up I don't see why we should be restrained to only discussing the original and reiterating ourselves.

-1 for topic starter

Sabuvok
04-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Agreed, we needn't remind ourselves how well the GA program turned out for mercury when like what, all 3 were in the same guild on top of being corrupt? I wouldn't dream of trusting NA's population with such things.

Not to mention like half of the current forum users are nothing but trolls. If your going to hand out infractions to them or close every thread they post in there won't be anything left of these forums, NA forums were never that active to begin with. Going off topic happens to every thread eventually, if a new idea comes up I don't see why we should be restrained to only discussing the original and reiterating ourselves.

-1 for topic starter

I don't think this idea came up mainly because of peopole going off topic. thats just the "icing on the cake"
the problem (imo) is the in general discussion.
There are plenty of people under 18 who go on the forums, and it's illegal for them to be able to see and have access to such material.

SilentM
04-17-2010, 07:02 PM
I agree that there should be other moderators appointed just to patrol the forum. The GMs seem too busy or slow to clean up the forum.
Users seem to spot flame/off topic threads a lot faster than GMs, especially since we can come on at any time of the day/night, and GMs probably don't.
However, moderators being able to edit posts, I feel is unnecessary. It gives normal players a bit TOO much power and as you can see, is not a popular suggestion with most of the forum posters.

Drew
04-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Like the Watcher/GA program, we don't need this IF the staff does its job.

Undermanned u say? There's such a thing as delegation of authority among its staff --- GMs to be omnipresent in-game, Forum Mods and Website admin for here, and supports for helpdesks. No one needs to be jack-of-all-trades master of nothing and nothing gets answered or done in the process. Specialized roles and job descriptions the answer.

Our jobs? To patronize this game, play fair and clean, and keep this business afloat.

Flarius
04-17-2010, 08:36 PM
The current problems that this forum has is;
1. QQers about DivineHoner.
2. Flame posts.
3. Bots.
4. People posting in the wrong section all the time.
5. Trollers.

This would be a good idea but I don't think its needed. How would the GM's determine who the moderators would be and how can they trust them that they would completely mess up the forums?

JuannyBear
04-17-2010, 08:51 PM
The current problems that this forum has is;
1. QQers about DivineHoner.
2. Flame posts.
3. Bots.
4. People posting in the wrong section all the time.
5. Trollers.

This would be a good idea but I don't think its needed. How would the GM's determine who the moderators would be and how can they trust them that they would completely mess up the forums?

I completely agree

Fishy
04-17-2010, 09:54 PM
With the recent outbreak of Off-topic and unacceptable topics, I suggest we have a team (3-4 people) of normal players to monitor the forums.

Obviously the GM's do not have the time to look over these forums 24/7 and I don't expect them to either.

I have observed this practice on many different forums and have worked great. Only good would come from this idea.

I suggest that a Moderator team be created. These Moderator's would have the ability to Lock, Delete, and Move topics as well as Edit posts. The Moderator's would have to follow guidelines and must not abuse their power.

I know there will be cases where a Moderator might abuse his/her power. To counter this problem, the community would just simply report the Moderator and the GM's would take care of it.

This would be sort of the Watcher program we had back in OGP but just for the forums.

Methods for selecting a team of Moderators are varied. Normal players will volunteer to help the community. The community could just vote for their Moderators (with GM approval) or GM's could just evaluate who are the best candidates and create a team themselves.

NOTE: No special treatment should be awarded to the moderators.

The result of this would be a cleaner forum environment for all aspects of the community.

--

Thank you for reading this suggestion and feel free to express your opinions.

im all for this. all they gotta do is post a sign up and im in!

Fishy
04-17-2010, 09:56 PM
I agree that there should be other moderators appointed just to patrol the forum. The GMs seem too busy or slow to clean up the forum.
Users seem to spot flame/off topic threads a lot faster than GMs, especially since we can come on at any time of the day/night, and GMs probably don't.
However, moderators being able to edit posts, I feel is unnecessary. It gives normal players a bit TOO much power and as you can see, is not a popular suggestion with most of the forum posters.

+1

Drew
04-18-2010, 01:47 PM

i gather ur for mods being able to delete posts but not to edit? How's the latter being 'too much of a power' and the former isn't? isn't deletion worse of a power if abused? How's that even possible? in the pecking order of board moderation, u can edit first before u can delete. If ur saying that u never suggested deletion anyway, so what good would forum moderators do? just to spot unwanted posts? anyone can do that.

ZetsubouSensei
04-18-2010, 06:57 PM
people with 1 k + posts shudnt be allowed to be mods either

Incredibly Ill
04-18-2010, 07:23 PM
people with 1 k + posts shudnt be allowed to be mods either

People who can't spell correctly shouldn't be allowed to be mods either.

LILCHAOLAO
04-19-2010, 11:23 AM
+1

BleedingSoul
04-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Yeeeeaahhh, -streches out- I think i'm pretty fit for this job.

Flarius
04-19-2010, 04:51 PM

Dear god help us all. =p

Renken
04-20-2010, 06:16 AM
Adding a mod is a good idea there are way to many unappropriated threads and I get on this form during school sometimes and I really wouldn't what a teacher looking over my shoulder when I end up clicking on a thread that's not what I thought it was that would be very very bad T_T

YumCookies
04-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Gough/ Fps/ Star for mods. :)

Suterusu
04-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Hey i wanna be a forum mod :D

YumCookies
04-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Gough/ Fps/ Star for mods. :)

:D

GoughGhan
04-21-2010, 06:52 PM
I've been pretty much ignoring the forums lately because of the trolling, the Divine posts and well the spammers.

I wouldn't mind seeing mods here who are real forum Nazis...but there needs to be actual forum rules to follow before that can happen.

Valdoroth
04-21-2010, 07:43 PM
I've been pretty much ignoring the forums lately because of the trolling, the Divine posts and well the spammers.

I wouldn't mind seeing mods here who are real forum Nazis...but there needs to be actual forum rules to follow before that can happen.
Yea i agree. We dont seem to have a set of forum rules atm

Incredibly Ill
04-21-2010, 07:53 PM
to be honest the "forum rules" should be common sense...like don't post pictures of ...

unfortunately for us...common sense isn't exactly common...

i vote yes for forum mods.

Teisho Raizen
04-23-2010, 07:01 AM

Disregarding the fact that a lot of your posts are quite aggressive I think you can do it :O