PDA

View Full Version : Cabal and Ventrillo

Rowe
01-07-2012, 11:48 PM
So ive been using Ventrillo multiple times while playing cabal on plenty of different PC.

Never seemed to have this problem until i came back just recently but here goes.

I run Ventrillo in admin mode and start up cabal. As soon as i start up cabal Ventrillo goes into a non responsive mode.

So i close ventrillo and let cabal load up then i restart ventrillo and everything is fine. Anyone know why this might be happening. Cabal crashes on me from time to time throughout the day. While in IC or in War etc..... so i have to do this multiple times a day starting to get annoying

any ideas or helpful advice appreciated.

sn0wXz
01-08-2012, 12:04 AM
The issues between cabal crashing randomly in ic or nw is probably not related to ventrilo going non responsive. Try starting ventrilo in admin mode, then start cabal and see if it still goes non-responsive.

When you crash, is there a error dialog with option to send report or does it just close to desktop with no message or windows error report? The most common way I would fix random crashes is installing cabal from fresh installer- but usually it applied to crashing in specific situations in a consistent manner, meaning if i was to warp to a specific map or enter a certain dung, or click a certain quest dialog it would consistently error.

If your crashing intermittently, you could try limiting the services running in the background that could conflict with cabal. I myself usually use programs like windows media player, msn, firefox ect... None of these programs seem to give me any problems with random crashes. If your crashing multiple times a day I would suggest trying to re-dl the game, re-install from fresh source installer. If the crashes persist its in all likeliness not files that are corrupt. Generally when dealing with corrupt files, applications will have consistent crashes after certain actions due to the inability to read the data.

Do you have alot of extra stuff running in the background? I would do a couple days of testing, first with fresh dl and install, secondly with limiting the services running while playing cabal. Between those two you can rule out a majority of crashes, ofcourse you always have out-dated drivers n such but I would say thats less common then the average corruption of files, or conflicting services/programs. Use MSConfig.exe to check what services are being used that are not relevant to the operating system, and hardware's drivers. Any service for audio/video drivers could be left as the chances of those conflicting are probably a bit lower, especially if they are up to date. All essential microsoft services can be left running, just disable all the ones you don't need for the testing to see if you can troubleshoot the random crashes.

In some cases you can view the crash of an application through eventvwr.exe -> Windows Logs -> Application
This will list any information related to crashes or state changes in services/processes. Ofcourse not all crashes with games are listed in the application report, but in some scenarios you can often find corresponding warnings/information displays with other processes correlating with the crash time. Perfect example I can give you from personal experience, I play fifa online 2; I also have Microsoft desktop windows manager (dwm.exe) which runs standard on my pc. I was able to identify a correlation between the process of fifa's PID # requesting control from dwm.exe to disable desktop resolution. This was resulting in conflicts between the dwm service and the fifa onlines game engine to disable resolutions when going from lobby to ingame resulting in a crash to desktop with no error dialog message, That's primarily why i suggest looking in eventvwr anytime something crashes, as it can't hurt.

btw your on win7?

Rowe
01-08-2012, 07:53 AM
yup win 7

I do run ventrillo in admin mode at the start of this little adventure. I know vent has nothing to do with the crashes.... Just saying how when cabal is started after vent it causes vent to be non responsive. But if i start cabal first and then vent i dont have any issues. I just have the issue of Cabal crashing in specific places with specific actions in game from time to time causing it to crash. then i reopen cabal to get back into the game/dungeon and poof there goes vent non responsive.

ex. 2nd to last boss in IC after killing the 4 Minotaurs i go to the last room. at the edge of the room or a bit in the hallway before you enter the room, I BM2 and poof there goes cabal. Its still up and running but i get a nice grey/white error msg with 2 options OK or Cancel pop up with a long explanation..... tbh never read it because so pissed off I just got a crash at the end of the dungeon as soon as i click an option cabal closes

xXCrusadeXx
01-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Also run vent it in winxp compatablility mode

Rowe
01-08-2012, 10:39 AM
lol when i have ventrillo in windows 2008 sever service pack 1 compatability cabal says im trying to hack the game. and game guard pops up asking me to send in the error

i only have windows 7 windows vista and windows 2008 options for compatability

i originally didnt have it in any compatability mode. so i turned it to windows 7. when i select windows 7 compatability the cabal launcher causes my AVG to pop up saying the launcher is a virus.

Rowe
01-08-2012, 10:48 AM
ok so i figured it out. Has to deal with my G510 Logitech key board in the LCD logitec manager.... for some reason i have to unselect the ventrilo program in the list of programs its trying to display on my keyboards LCD screen.

sn0wXz
01-08-2012, 11:59 AM
ok so i figured it out. Has to deal with my G510 Logitech key board in the LCD logitec manager.... for some reason i have to unselect the ventrilo program in the list of programs its trying to display on my keyboards LCD screen.

There is plenty of threads about vent going unresponsive when gameguard starts (throughout alot of gameguard protected games' forums), i dont think everyone has g510 logitech, but if it works for you, grats:D.