PDA

View Full Version : Bustin' Brains

Enigma
04-06-2010, 05:32 PM
This thread was requested by GuardianPat. If it fails terribly, its his fault.

I will post one of the following per day.

Riddle
Puzzle
Enigma

Your job is to try to answer each one to the best of your ability.
However, there will be different difficulty levels for each question.

Easy
Moderate
Difficult
Diabolic

Guidelines/Rules:
1. One answer per person for each question. Think carefully before you post!
2. Questions will end when a correct answer is given.
3. Please stay on topic for the sake of the thread.
More to come?...

Enigma
04-06-2010, 05:32 PM
[Diabolical] Question of the Day: 4/15

Diabolical!

Here is a question that my math teacher has presented me earlier this year.

This question is not to offend any of the Jewish population in anyway.

As the Holocaust was nearing its end, Hitler decided to play a game with 100 Jews. He assembles 100 Jewish men and tells them that he is about to line them up and that he will place either a black or white hat on each of their heads. Once lined up, they must not communicate amongst themselves. Nor may they attempt to look behind them or remove their own hat.

The Führer tells the Jews that they will be able to see all the hats in front of them. They will not be able to see the color of their own hat or the hats behind them, although they will be able to hear the answers from all those behind them.

Then Hitler will then start with the person in the back and ask "what color is your hat?" The Jewish man will only be allowed to answer "black" or "white," nothing more. If the answer is incorrect then the Jew will be silently killed. If the answer is correct then the Jewish man may live but must remain absolutely silent.

Hitler will then move on to the next person and repeat the question.

Hitler makes it clear that if anyone breaks the rules then all the Jews will die, then allows them to consult before lining them up. The Führer listens in while the men consult each other to make sure they don't devise a plan to cheat. To communicate anything more than their guess of red or blue by coughing or shuffling would be breaking the rules.

What is the maximum number of men they can be guaranteed to save?

Enigma
04-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Correct answer to: [Diabolical] Question of the Day: 4/15

Well , i had a theory , but after reading it again one more time .....they all will die. Because in the last paragraph where it stated Hitler listened to the men and it stated anything more than their guess of red or blue would be breaking the rules. Their hats were supposed to be "black" or "white" and could only answer black or white . If they answered red or blue they would be killed.

Haha, correct.
The answer is no one can survive. Hitler does not allow anyone to speak black or white; therefor, the men will not be allowed to state the color of their hats. If you had read quickly and overlooked this part your guesses may have ranged from 50%, 50+%, or 99%.

Congratulations to Rydo for correctly answering this problem!

Enigma
04-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Replies to incorrect answers to: [Diabolical] Question of the Day: 4/15

n/a

Enigma
04-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Hall of Fame

-RydoMatic

[D] : Hitler & Jews 4/15

-Raven

[H] : The Missing "e" 4/14
[M] : Knights/Knaves #1 4/13
[M] : Mister's Problem 4/10
[M] : Monty Hall Problem 4/6
[E] : Infinite Series Equation 4/7

-GuardianPat

[E] : 4 Quarts of Water Problem 4/9

*Answers to Diabolical level questions will receives some sort of reward. Post ideas for this reward if you wish to.

GuardianPat
04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
The Monty Hall Problem
Assume the following:
You are on a game show which has you choose one door out of three choices. After you choose a door, the game show host removes one door. From here you are given two options. You may either choose to stay with the door you chose or choose to switch to the other door. Only one door has a prize.

What is the best choice of action and why? (In other words, what is the probability of each choice being the correct choice.)

Open the other door. So to begin, i have 1/3 chance of losing totally. Picking the other door might increase the chance of winning if i dont fall in the 1/3 of losing.

Enigma
04-06-2010, 06:53 PM
The Monty Hall Problem
Assume the following:
You are on a game show which has you choose one door out of three choices. After you choose a door, the game show host removes one door. From here you are given two options. You may either choose to stay with the door you chose or choose to switch to the other door. Only one door has a prize.

What is the best choice of action and why? (In other words, what is the probability of each choice being the correct choice.)

Stay with the door i chose because the host might always remove the "correct" door (if hes evil). So to begin, i have 1/3 chance of winning. Picking the other door might decrease the chance of winning... or the chance is reduce to 0 if the host is evil and remove the "correct" door.

My mistake. I forgot to mention that he cannot remove the correct door.

GuardianPat
04-06-2010, 06:54 PM
@_@ dang lol i edited my post XD

Raven
04-06-2010, 07:13 PM
[Moderate] Question of the Day: 4/6

Marilyn Monday!
Marilyn vos Savant is an American magazine columnist, author, lecturer, and playwright who rose to fame through her listing in the Guinness Book of World Records under "Highest IQ".

So without further delay, here is a question that has been presented to and solved by Marilyn von Savant.

The Monty Hall Problem
Assume the following:
You are on a game show which has you choose one door out of three choices. After you choose a door, the game show host removes an incorrect door from the remaining two doors. From here you are given two options. You may either choose to stay with the door you chose or choose to switch to the other door. Only one door has a prize.

Since the odds at the beginning were 2 to 1 against guessing the correct door, it is more likely that the first guess was incorrect, so I would switch to the other door.

Taken by itself, the second choice is 50/50, but since the odds of the first choice being wrong were 2 to 1, the second choice is now roughly 2 to 1 in favor of being correct by switching to the other door.

Enigma
04-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Since the odds at the beginning were 2 to 1 against guessing the correct door, it is more likely that the first guess was incorrect, so I would switch to the other door.

You have yet to answer the second part to the question.

Enigma
04-06-2010, 07:55 PM
[Moderate] Question of the Day: 4/6 has been answered.
A new question will be posted tomorrow.

GuardianPat
04-07-2010, 02:01 PM
i cant wait XD

Enigma
04-07-2010, 05:12 PM
[Easy] Question of the Day: 4/7 has been posted.

You may submit answers now.

Raven
04-08-2010, 03:04 AM
Umm, okay. I emailed you an equation last night (3 = x/2) and was hoping someone else would get this since I don't want to be a contest/game hog... but it's morning of 4/8 now so... x = 6

Although the progression of square roots never really makes it to 3 (it's actually 2.999999...), it's assumed that a truly infinite progression would equal 3.

Y = ...√(√(√(√(√(√X + X)+X)+ X)+ X)+ X)... is another way of showing the equation.

Since any computing device has a limited number of decimal places, it will eventually round up to Y even though it doesn't actually equal Y yet.

The following equation gives you the two numbers you use: X = Y² - Y

Sorry, I may have gone overboard with the explanation... all you asked for was the answer, lol... 6

Enigma
04-08-2010, 06:08 AM
[Easy] Question of the Day: 4/7 has been answered.

GuardianPat
04-08-2010, 12:22 PM
dang raven u maniac

Raven
04-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Lol, I know, right? I even scare myself sometimes, it's like, do I really know all this crap... how did that happen? WTH, I think I need to get out a little more often.

EDIT:

@GP - Okay, what's my trick?

@E - I'm not answering this one, someone else should have a chance.

GuardianPat
04-08-2010, 03:06 PM
i know ur trick >=)

Enigma
04-08-2010, 03:32 PM
[Easy] Question of the Day: 4/8 has been posted.

GuardianPat
04-08-2010, 03:57 PM
[Easy] Question of the Day: 4/8

Here's an unusually easy question. I decided to lower the difficulty of the problems because of Raven's post.

Assume the following:
One of the three boxes contains gold. The other two are empty. Each box has a clue on it, but only one box's clue is true.

[The gold is not here.] [The gold is not here.] [The gold is in the first box.]

Which box contains the gold?

the third

Enigma
04-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Signature test.

GuardianPat
04-08-2010, 06:33 PM
nice sig. rubix cube numbers

Enigma
04-08-2010, 06:37 PM
It's a Sudoku Cube. :D

GuardianPat
04-08-2010, 06:38 PM
since when you can play sudoku cube with only 6 faces?

Enigma
04-08-2010, 07:09 PM
The point is to get only one of each number on each side.

GuardianPat
04-08-2010, 07:18 PM
oh ok, but its harder than rubix

Enigma
04-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Of course since its a combination.

Raven
04-09-2010, 02:15 AM
My little brother couldn't get his rubics cube back to normal so he moved the stickers. -.-

²

GuardianPat
04-09-2010, 06:16 AM
lmaoooo he remove the thingy?

Raven
04-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah then he comes to me and says 'Hey sis, I got it back to normal' and I say 'Oh wow, how'd you do that?' then he laughs and tells me he changed the stickers. =_=

GuardianPat
04-09-2010, 03:19 PM
lmao. omg u a girl o.o?

Enigma
04-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Hawt, smart girl.

GuardianPat
04-09-2010, 03:37 PM
:o enigma too??

Enigma
04-09-2010, 03:46 PM
What about me?

Raven
04-09-2010, 03:52 PM
lmao. omg u a girl o.o?

Lolz, yeah, I thought you knew already? You asked before if my siggy has a dudette in it and I said yes, as am I.

btw: my post from early this morning has a clue; there is a tiny 2 along the left side, lol.

Enigma
04-09-2010, 03:52 PM
The time to answer [Easy] Question of the Day: 4/8 has expired.

A new question will be posted shortly.

Enigma
04-09-2010, 04:05 PM
[Easy] Question of the Day: 4/9 has been posted.

GuardianPat
04-09-2010, 08:52 PM
5 quart | 3 quart
Pouring
5 -> 0
Result1:
2 -> 3
Empty:
2 - 0
Pourring:
0 -> 2
Refilling:
5 - 2
pourring
5 -> 2
Result2:
4 - 3

Enigma
04-09-2010, 10:26 PM
[Easy] Question of the Day: 4/9 has been answered.

Enigma
04-10-2010, 06:46 PM
[Moderate] Question of the Day: 4/10 has been posted.

Raven
04-10-2010, 07:46 PM
[Moderate] Question of the Day: 4/10

Moderate!

Enjoy this logic problem.

Assume the following:
Three of these four statements are untrue.

Mr Red: "Mr Blue did it."

Mr Blue: "Mr Red did it."

Mr Green: "Mr Blue's telling the truth."

Mr Yellow: "Mr Green's not lying

Who is the culprit?

Mr. Blue

Since Blue did it, Red is telling the truth, but Blue, Green, and Yellow are lying. 3 untrue statements.
If Red did it, then Blue, Yellow, and Green are telling the truth, but only Red would be lying.
If either Green or Yellow did it, they would all be lying.

Enigma
04-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Mr. Blue

As usual I expect the reason why. Sorry for not specifying.

YumCookies
04-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Mr. Blue

Since Blue did it, Red is telling the truth, but Blue, Green, and Yellow are lying. 3 untrue statements.
If Red did it, then Blue, Yellow, and Green are telling the truth, but only Red would be lying.
If either Green or Yellow did it, they would all be lying.

Ha!! I got the same thing :)

Enigma
04-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Blah, I was busy working on an essay that my English teacher assigned out of no where because he was mad at his son, but I digress.
That is why there was no question for 4/11, but I will post one for 4/12 soon.

Enigma
04-12-2010, 07:52 PM
[Hard] Question of the Day: 4/12 has been posted.

»Cloud Strife«™
04-13-2010, 03:01 AM
wattt?

Raven
04-13-2010, 06:30 AM
[Hard] Question of the Day: 4/12

Hard!

Again, I apologize for the delay.

Assume the following:
There are 4 people in a race that need to get across a lake. They have a small canoe. The rules say that only the slowest person in the canoe can paddle, only 1 or 2 can be in the canoe at a time, and they must all cross in the canoe.

From practice, they know that:

Person W can paddle across in 1 minute.

Person X can paddle across in 2 minutes.

Person Y can paddle across in 5 minutes.

Person Z can paddle across in 10 minutes.

Without breaking the rules, what is the fastest time that everyone crosses the river as a whole? How?

19 minutes and here's how:

Only the slowest person IN the canoe at the time can paddle, so during the race, person W stays in the canoe since he alone can paddle back across the fastest to pick up the next person. Each time across, the slower person in the canoe then paddles to get to the other side.

W + X who paddles = 2 minutes, X gets out.
W paddles back across alone = 1 minute.
W + Y who paddles = 5 minutes, Y gets out.
W paddles back across alone = 1 minute.
W + Z who paddles = 10 minutes, both get out, all are across.

2 + 1 + 5 + 1 + 10 = 19 minutes.

Aw, yeah, my thinking was too linear.

Enigma
04-13-2010, 05:32 PM
The time to answer [Hard] Question of the Day: 4/12 has expired.

A new question well be posted shortly.

Enigma
04-13-2010, 06:26 PM
[Moderate] Question of the Day 4/13 has been posted.

beowolf101
04-13-2010, 07:43 PM
im so lost its not even funny >.<

Raven
04-14-2010, 05:22 AM
[Moderate] Question of the Day: 4/13

Moderate!

Here's cliche puzzle by Raymond Smullyan.

Assume the following:
Knights always speak truth. Knaves always speak lies.

As you approach the island, you spot three inhabitants on the shore. You call out to them, "Are you Knights or Knaves?" The first says something but you do not hear what he says, so you ask, "What did you say?" The second inhabitant says, "He says he is a Knight, he is and so am I." The third responds, "He is a Knave, but I am a Knight."

What are the three inhabitants really? How do you know?

The first two are Knights and the third is a Knave.

Basically, everyone says they're a Knight and no one ever says they're a Knave because Knights always tell the truth and Knaves always lie. The key is in the first half of the second persons response. He must be a Knight since, if he were a Knave, he would have lied about the first persons response saying "He says he is a Knave". Therefore, he must be telling the truth about the first, hence, both are Knights. That being said, the third person must then be a Knave since he was obviously lying.

Enigma
04-14-2010, 06:17 PM
[Moderate] Question of the Day: 4/12 has been answered.

[Hard] Question of the Day: 4/13 has been posted.

WIpwns
04-14-2010, 07:06 PM
-.-

Enigma
04-15-2010, 05:30 AM
Bump

GuardianPat
04-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Hard!

Here's a tricky one :]
-----
What is unusual about this paragraph? You will find that this is not
just an ordinary paragraph if you look at its words. An odd group of
words this is! Can you find what it is?

Not

Raven
04-15-2010, 03:19 PM
[Hard] Question of the Day: 4/13

Hard!

Here's a tricky one :]
-----
What is unusual about this paragraph? You will find that this is not
just an ordinary paragraph if you look at its words. An odd group of
words this is! Can you find what it is?

Aiyah! I have accumulated several hours of staring at this thing... I feel like I'm going blind.

It says look at the words but the only thing I can see is that, among other letters, there doesn't appear to be any words with the letter 'e' in them. I think I read one time that the vowel 'e' is one of the most common letters in the english language, so I guess it would be pretty unusual for any paragraph to not have any.

That's the best guess I can come up with. D:'

Enigma
04-15-2010, 03:45 PM
[Hard] Question of the Day: 4/14 has been answered!

A [Diabolical] question will be posted shortly.

Enigma
04-15-2010, 03:56 PM
[Diabolical] Question of the Day: 4/15 has been posted.

You may begin straining your brain now.

Enigma
04-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Bump

RydoMatic
04-15-2010, 10:33 PM

Enigma
04-16-2010, 05:46 AM

Explain how and why you believe it is 99.

RydoMatic
04-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Well , i had a theory , but after reading it again one more time .....they all will die. Because in the last paragraph where it stated Hitler listened to the men and it stated anything more than their guess of red or blue would be breaking the rules. Their hats were supposed to be "black" or "white" and could only answer black or white . If they answered red or blue they would be killed.

Raven
04-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Aw, Rydo beat me to it. I was just thinking the same thing, lol. Good job.

Enigma
04-16-2010, 06:22 PM
[Diabolical] Question of the Day: 4/15 has been answered.

A new question will be posted shortly.

Enigma
04-19-2010, 05:21 PM
I have not been able to actively run this thread lately because of school; therefore, it will be closed temporarily.
Sorry if this disappoints anyone.

LILCHAOLAO
04-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Oh darn =/

Raven
08-24-2010, 04:31 PM
OI! <bump> Is this thread ever going to be revived or is everyone just too busy actually playing Cabal by now? . . . . . . . Just thought I'd ask.