Facebook Twitter Youtube Twitch

Thread: Cabal online on linux?

Cabal online on linux?

I have searched the forums for the answer and havent found anything about it... the internet says that it can't but those answers are 2 years old... anyone else know if it can run on ubuntu?

You have Linux I assume or you wouldn't be asking this. All I can say is Try It.

Retired (Perussing General Topics or Support)
    Natively under linux, or under linux using even WINE, "NOPE". Though WINE can handle running Cabal as an App, it has no support for GameGuard unfortunately, if GameGuard doesn't run, Cabal will not. Second issue is that Linux uses OpenGL and WINE can have trouble converting DirectX instructions into OpenGL instructions -_-, random blotches have been reported earliest attempts at running Cabal under linux sooo.....

Alternatives-
    1) Dual Boot Setup with WinXP or Win7 on a secondary drive or second partition, (already have linux installed b4 adding windows backup your primary drive master boot record, windows will overwrite it. Need a LiveLinuxCD to get your bootmanager fixed (grub, grub2, lilo, whatever you use). Need a legal copy of windows install remember that. Going to need to add an entry in your bootmanager for windows to update your bootmanager config file(s).

2) Second alternative, run a virtual windows install in Linux with VMWare, Xen or other Virtual Machine program. Runs a little slow, do not get full gfx accelleration, nor full use of your gfx memory, so combo mode can be fun to try to break even an 11 combo due to screen lag.

Best way is alternative 1 above, though will take a bit to get the system reconfigured right doing it manually to get the bootmanager playing right. Best way to dual boot is fresh install windows in, then do a fresh install of your linux distro to get a proper bootmanager configuration. Go that way, tarball your linux partitions from / down, excluding /boot, install windoze, install linux, reboot into linux, update it, untarball your backups, reboot into windows, update it, install updates, drivers, and cabal ready to play. WinXP prob 15-20 Gig partition needed to run Cabal and a little space for swapfile.sys and other windows junk. Win7 prob 25-30+ gigs space needed.

hth

I've got a couple computers which are high end and have windows but i was just thinking about my laptop that has ubuntu on it. Ive tried the VM thing but cabal wont run in a VM it thinks im cheating or something.. i tried it like a year ago so maybe it is different.. but thank you silver. i guess ill just wait. I've heard rumors of nvidia making drivers for high end games for linux.. i hope so. windows blows.