Facebook Twitter Youtube Twitch

Thread: Cabal on Ubuntu?

Banned

Cabal on Ubuntu?

I've been using ubuntu for the past 2 years, - dual booting - but I'm about to make a complete switch over and do away with poopy windows.

tl;dr, anyone know how to run cabal through wine in ubuntu MaverickMeerkat?
    Last edited by Sheep; 11-22-2010 at 12:57 AM.

Banned
    bump

Banned

D:

Retired (Perussing General Topics or Support)
    Two issues with Cabal when trying to run under a *Nix system with WINE.

1) Biggest problem, Wine doesn't support GameGuard or any other Game Protection system, so the affected game errors and crashes.

2) Little bit of lag as Wine interprets DirectX to OpenGL instructions.

Can always try it through VMWare Player of a Win2k/XP minimal install to run under a Linux host, or stay with your dual boot sytem to play games on winblows.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverIceForum View Post
    Two issues with Cabal when trying to run under a *Nix system with WINE.

1) Biggest problem, Wine doesn't support GameGuard or any other Game Protection system, so the affected game errors and crashes.

2) Little bit of lag as Wine interprets DirectX to OpenGL instructions.

Can always try it through VMWare Player of a Win2k/XP minimal install to run under a Linux host, or stay with your dual boot sytem to play games on winblows.
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated

Also, +1 for winblows, lol
    Last edited by Sheep; 11-24-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Anytime, like you I'd love to just get switched fully to Linux on all my boxes instead of one dedicated to winblows or a dual boot configuration. Running Kubuntu on 3 Boxes, and the 4th, the fastest, running Win7 for gaming purposes. Would like to see more OpenGL games written instead of Microsnot DirectX, runs less heavily on resources, both Linux as a whole, and OpenGL compared the Microsnot options. But until "Sir" Bill Gates goes away, won't happen for a while I believe.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverIceForum View Post
    Anytime, like you I'd love to just get switched fully to Linux on all my boxes instead of one dedicated to winblows or a dual boot configuration. Running Kubuntu on 3 Boxes, and the 4th, the fastest, running Win7 for gaming purposes. Would like to see more OpenGL games written instead of Microsnot DirectX, runs less heavily on resources, both Linux as a whole, and OpenGL compared the Microsnot options. But until "Sir" Bill Gates goes away, won't happen for a while I believe.
    Indeed. The only things holding me back from a complete switch is cabal, Mirror's Edge, and Xblades.
    Last edited by Sheep; 02-17-2011 at 07:22 AM.

Titanium
    On this subject is it possible to run cabal on a mac? i seem not able to start up the setup.exe on it.

Titanium
    Ok thnx... ;( Very hard to get Macs to work right but its my second computer to use . Oh well i will wait thnx

Mac OSX is affected just like any other Unix/Linux system being it was originally a BSD kernel just been tweeked massively :/.

Dual Boot through BootCamp or Parallels with a valid Windows Install if it is an Intel Based Mac are the only 2 options I have heard of playing since Open Beta.