Facebook Twitter Youtube Twitch

Thread: Installing Cabal Setup

Installing Cabal Setup

Hello! I am new to this game and i've seen the videos on Youtube and i liked it so i decided to download it today. After i downloaded the setup thingy that you download off the site, this Backdoor.Trojan was detected by my Norton360 so i uninstalled the game - I was so excited to play but a very huge disappointment after i recieved that

Did this happen to any of you too? Because i don't really like that virus - My big brother had it and it was horrible!

Step 1 - uninstall Norton360.
    Step 2 - get a good free antivirus, like AVG, avast, avira
    Step 3 - install game without stupid false positives from a POS "antivirus" software.

Banned
    or option 3 is download a trojan

Hi! So you're saying my Norton360 will block the Backdoor.Trojan if i re-install it again and play Cabal Online? Everything is cool then?

I had the EXACT same problem as you and I didnt know how to fix it at all. So I went and exchanged my computer (it had a virus anyways) for another one and it managed to install successfully. However, I dont think you can do what I did so maybe you can try uninstalling Norton, reinstalling Cabal, and then reinstall Norton once you finish everything? After all Norton is just blocking the random thing from the installation, so once you can bypass that, then you can reinstall Norton again

virus

I hope you didnt just let the virus thru. I have Avira, which is good. I think there really is a virus in the files.

Retired (Perussing General Topics or Support)
    Quote Originally Posted by femgeek900 View Post
    I hope you didnt just let the virus thru. I have Avira, which is good. I think there really is a virus in the files.
    As Berserk stated above, this is a false positive virii/trojan detection. Not the first time this has happened to others, in fact seen it myself with Avast, which I use, about a year ago after the A/V was upgraded from 4.x to 5.x. Next day the A/V signature database updated, all was fine again. Norton and several others, 90% of all current A/V products have a built in AI you can say, its Heuristics capability, that scans for virus like activity in how a program operates.

With that said, what is being detected during the file scan by Norton as the installer is opened, is the package inside the installer that will install Gameguard and couple other components that monitor at administrator privledges, for hardware macros, and software 3rd party macros. How they do it, in technicality, does act suspiciously like a trojan in this case, gather information of usage of macros of any type, or 3rd party software that can potentially adjust the Cabal's memory footprints to adjust and tweak them, things against the ToS that would give a user an unfair advantage, report it back to EST and Gameguard's publisher. That is what is being detected, Norton, in this case, is seeing a potential security threat could compromise the computer, Gameguard acts like a potential trojan outside what trojans are actually in its latest database of them, and reports it as a Backdoor.Trojan.Genric.w32 or .win32 category and tries to quarantine it. However nice Norton360 may appear, this Heuristics AI built into it is to darn sensitive, other, recent age A/v are the same way, Norton is also a heavy beast on resources, trying to do to many things it is good at instead of 1 thing it is excellent at.

To OP, like Berserk stated, get rid of that PoS Norton, a good free variant of what Norton does is out there for every component of Norton360, and you don't have to pay an annual subscription or pay for an annual upgrade for what it does at 2x the resources it uses compared to another product. Most freeware A/V, firewall, anti-spam, anti-malware software vendors do have pay for versions, or pay for bundles far superior and less taxing on your system than how big of a pig Norton has become over the past few years. If you are a broadband user with a home network router, you can generally, up to you, remove needing a software firewall as most routers have a firewall built into them, one less piece of software to have on your system, and can generally only need re-enable windows built in one if you lock up your router's firewall like it should be. That said...

Firewall-
    ZoneAlarm, best out there for windows imo, is freeware, but they do offer a pay for Pro version, as well as a pay for bundle with anti-virus, anti-spam, etc that is decent and more than enough to keep you safe.

Anti-Virus and Anti-Everyothermalware out there-
    Avast, free to use A/V, just need to freely register for a subscription key with a valid e-mail address, is a rock solid A/V, also offer a payfor Pro version, and like ZoneAlarm above a full Internet Security variant.

Avira

AVG

All listed are far better products and less intensive on system resources than Norton, and all of them play with Cabal/Gameguard in a friendly manner, aka, they don't give as many false positives from their heuristics AI's as Norton does.