Facebook Twitter Youtube Twitch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need help choosing computers

How about you both run benchmark then post what you get ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by sn0wXz View Post
    rage lately?

Lol ok calm down beard i believe you, your laptop never overheated before; its ok bro, need some NyQuil? his i7 out benchmark any desktop cept the ones running the other 14 intel and 1 amd processors benchmarking higher then that model.

ok to OP:

since that laptop is junk and probably worse then buying a desktop outfited for your price range; why not take psbeardys advice and get something completely irrelevant and out-benchmarked in laptop and desktop platforms altogether in many scenarios. Even though its only 2-3x or more your price range, i guess he skips over the important parts of posts to find something to disagree with, his laptop is that powerful. controlled trolling on his pc but he actually believes what hes typing.

just sayin'
    Ain't raging bro and was definitely not responding to OP as my Malibal is more like 10x his stated price, I was simply making the argument that laptops are not always a bad choice for gaming like some of the posts tried to claim. Given resources and inclination I could have spent 2x's as much and put the absolute highest end components like the new 4 core k code sandy bridge, dual radeon 6k series GPU and on and on.....but why I already max out fps in WOW, Cabal and BFBC2 I can run crysis at almost 75fps....and I do so while using half the power of a desktop.

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Quote Originally Posted by PSBeardy View Post
    Ain't raging bro and was definitely not responding to OP as my Malibal is more like 10x his stated price, I was simply making the argument that laptops are not always a bad choice for gaming like some of the posts tried to claim. Given resources and inclination I could have spent 2x's as much and put the absolute highest end components like the new 4 core k code sandy bridge, dual radeon 6k series GPU and on and on.....but why I already max out fps in WOW, Cabal and BFBC2 I can run crysis at almost 75fps....and I do so while using half the power of a desktop.
    And for only double the cost.

I like your: 4 core, radeon 6k series

huh?

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Banned
    Malibal Lotus 15.6" Intel Core i7-2920XM CPU, 12 gigs of ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 485M 2GB GPU discreet card.
    I have suffered 0 issues with cooling
    Wait about a year from now when you have to take it apart to clean it....but by then it'll be obsolete and unable to upgrade........then you have to buy a whole new laptop for double the cost

I again seriously doubt it will become obsolete in one year.... people have a tendency to be a bit hysterical lately on this board. Besides I have free lifetime upgradeable from Malibal and as the case they use and all their components are very upgradeable I fail to see how this would be any different from any desktop as well.

Retired (Perussing General Topics or Support)
    Seriously, Cabal been around so long now, and if that is all you are wanting to play on it then here would be the specs for a decent Cabal playing comp, lappy or desktop...

WindowsXP
    2 Gig Ram Minimum, 3.5 Gig if you are 32bit, 4+ If XP Pro 64bit (64bit architecture, use the extended ability of the most ram you can afford and slap into a motherboard the better, so use it would be my philosophy)
    Intel or AMD (Any dual core with EACH core at 1.5Ghz ea, Single Core Athlon2 or such up near 3Ghz), personally I stick with AMD as they run faster and more bang for your buck compared to Intel which AMD sepperated from and originally designed the x86 and x86_64 architectures.
    Graphics Card- Any ATI or nVidia 265mb mem or higher (512-1Gig suggested really for any game nowadays)
    Drives is what you can afford
    Mobo- Stick with whatever brand you yourself prefer by track record you personally enjoy
    Sound- Onboard chips are pretty decent nowadays, but you can go with a high end 5.1 or 7.1 surround HD of any brand you like.

WinVista/7 (64bit would be a must)
    4+ Gig Ram, 8+ preferrably
    Again Dual Core suggested, 4 Cores highly suggested (judge memory off this a bit, 1.5 to 2 gig ram per core minimum you want to slap in to make the Symetric Processing work the best)
    GFX- dual card if you can, again 512 to 1gb ram per card to get the best performance, 265mb on a poman's budget
    Mobo- Same as above

Only difference between a XP vs Vista/7 setup will be ram, doubling what would make XP box like heavy weight champ to make the heavier and resource hogging Vista/7 do the same. Or best off make your own decision, look at the minimum and suggested system requirement to play what you want and double, triple, or even quadruple those requirements and see where that lands you within your budget. And yes, I first played cabal on an old Compaq on sale laptop with a single core, 1st gen Turion, 1.5 gig ram, and a 265mb ATI built in gfx chip running XP Home 32bit and Cabal ran decent, only slowed down during "Large" 25vs25+ NWs. Just have to remember to get enough air flow over the heatsinks is all, so it can be done if you turn off a few ingame bells and whistles, newer laptops that can't do it at 50fps+ something is seriously flawed in its design, jmo though.

Retired
    Account Passed On

Banned
    sorry....did you just recommend vista?

Get a computer built for Aion and youll be set. Promise
    Character Name: Felixxer
    Server: Venus
    Nation: Capella
    Level: 64
    Class: Blader
    Weapon: Blade/Katana

Retired (Perussing General Topics or Support)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastan View Post
    sorry....did you just recommend vista?
    True, well documented Vista is a big flop, however, technically in the underlying kernel of the OS, Vista and Win7 are the same beast under the hood, just Win7 had a lot of the bugs worked out of it (Win2k and WinXP fell in the same way win2k (NT 5.0, WinXP NT 5.1 Kernels). So thus the requirements to run either are the same all I am saying, and yes, gonna go with either one of them Win7 is the better OS out of both of them overall. However M$ and their Winblows OSes still have a lot to be desired to run anything. Not playing Cabal anymore myself and being that I only have 1 maybe 2 programs I really need windows for to run them have since set a 25Gig Win7 partition on one desktop and run Linux Mint 10 in a dual boot on that machine for if and when I need those programs, other than that my other boxes are all running Linux Mint or Ubuntu and much happier for the move ^_^.

Retired
    Account Passed On

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123