Facebook Twitter Youtube Twitch

Thread: "Get a girlfriend" Insult..?

"Get a girlfriend" Insult..?

I've been thinking about this lately. Why is this such a widely used insult in almost every online game? People say it as if it constitutes that having a girlfriend proves something. Many people are capable of getting a girlfriend, yet choose not to. Let me elaborate a bit;

I've had like 3 serious relationships (I'm almost 17), and my current relationship will have lasted for 5 months on Wednesday. And to be honest, (everyone knows this) relationships are not that fun or as much as everyone thinks they are. Drama, mind games, and more drama ensues many people's relationships. So why exactly is it an insult if someone doesn't have a girlfriend? I'm thinking it's much better off to be single, than deal with drama - it takes time to find a really great partner. So for those of you who choose to wait that time, I respect you.

Just seems like an immature insult from people who don't realize what having a girlfriend means.

"Luck favors the prepared mind."
    "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."
    "Begin to be now what you will be hereafter."
    "Either you run the day or the day runs you."
    "Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward."

Quote Originally Posted by Cade View Post
    Just seems like an immature insult from people who don't realize what having a girlfriend means.
    Basically this.

Going off on a tangent, I want to ask this.
    Why do people date online?

The fact that people think that if you have a girlfriend means you have some pretty big cajones. Many of these people are jock douche bags, or someone that has yet to have a girlfriend, as the internet is a shield against their real lives.
    Here is such a picture of a douche bag:

Now, as for the online dating question; some people really feel insecure about meeting people up close in person. These people tend to be really shy in real life, or want to find out about a person BEFORE getting into a relationship. I mean, from their perspective, its much easier finding a match when they give you their personal info and see if you match or not. I'm not saying its the right thing, but to each his or her own, right?

BTW, congrats an your 5 month, I've just passed my 10 month mark :P

Thanks, grats to you too :P.

Personally I tried a few online relationships..didn't work out. It typically is filled with people who make a fake persona and generally have some kind of self esteem issues. I mean think about it...you can portray yourself as any type of person online, like your alter ego who you'd love to actually be. And people won't (usually) know you're lying, so you get praise for it. This typically causes an addiction...bleh, learned about internet personas and online dating in psychology but I'm too tired to recall anything.

But some people actually use online relationships to their true meaning and potential, but those cases are pretty uncommon

"Luck favors the prepared mind."
    "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."
    "Begin to be now what you will be hereafter."
    "Either you run the day or the day runs you."
    "Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward."

I agree there are many insecure people within the game and they feel the need to find some way to make themselves feel better, the easy way they choose is to insult someone else. An example would be(and this actually happened): I got my wife to play cabal and she was in the middle of a quest in DS when someone else walks up and starts ksing on the same quest, then dissappears, he then showed up again on her following 2 quests in GD and was ksing again then tried to ask her if she was single etc etc, she blocked him and ignored him but he continued so I took my main and decided to chat with him and he kept trying to message her, saying "yeah right like she is really your wife" so I PKed him and we went to another channel (having stayed on that one due to it having less lag)

siggy thanks to CrystalAFX
    Trouvo BL 14X Procyon Venus <CarniVal> Guild Officer

Total slaughter, total slaughter. I won't leave a single cap alive. La de da de die, genocide. La de da de dud, an arena of blood. Let's begin the PKing time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cade View Post
    Thanks, grats to you too :P.

Personally I tried a few online relationships..didn't work out. It typically is filled with people who make a fake persona and generally have some kind of self esteem issues. I mean think about it...you can portray yourself as any type of person online, like your alter ego who you'd love to actually be. And people won't (usually) know you're lying, so you get praise for it. This typically causes an addiction...bleh, learned about internet personas and online dating in psychology but I'm too tired to recall anything.

But some people actually use online relationships to their true meaning and potential, but those cases are pretty uncommon
    Quote Originally Posted by Trouvo View Post
    I agree there are many insecure people within the game and they feel the need to find some way to make themselves feel better, the easy way they choose is to insult someone else. An example would be(and this actually happened): I got my wife to play cabal and she was in the middle of a quest in DS when someone else walks up and starts ksing on the same quest, then dissappears, he then showed up again on her following 2 quests in GD and was ksing again then tried to ask her if she was single etc etc, she blocked him and ignored him but he continued so I took my main and decided to chat with him and he kept trying to message her, saying "yeah right like she is really your wife" so I PKed him and we went to another channel (having stayed on that one due to it having less lag)
    Don't people in real life suffer the same afflictions of being insincere? :S
    Nest, 17X WI

(\(\
    (._. )
    (")(")o