Facebook Twitter Youtube Twitch

Thread: to Clocks; about alternate downloads topic

Talking to Clocks; about alternate downloads topic

Quote Originally Posted by Clocks View Post
    Torrents are not allowed, and are illegal.

To download CABAL, please go to http://www.cabal.com/DownLoad/Client.
    We apologize that there are no alternative CABAL downloads.

Send in a Help Desk if you have any more issues with the download.

~[GM] Clocks~
    While i respect your decision that its not allowed on forums, i would like to clarify for the users that torrent is not illegal. there already was legal cases involving torrents, the conclusion reached is the following : torrent itsself is not illegal, however downloading copyrighted material without permission is illegal. so therefore if EST itsself wanted to host alternate downloads of cabal onto torrents for example, it would not be illegal as EST owns the material, and torrent software is no different from downloading from official sites as long as the uploader has copyrights or permissions to upload the files in question. thankx just wanted to clear that up.

sidenote: sorry if the quote number is wrong, proxy seems to be messing up the quote function.

edit: please move off-topic, sry i see u moved the other topic im referring to.
    Last edited by sn0wXz; 05-09-2011 at 05:26 PM.
    wa (unbanned) ||| other wa (r.i.p)
    Bot Mutiny?! ||| wiz (r.i.p.)
    noob WI (r.i.p.) ||| Yuan

[GM] Kato
    Thanks for clearing that up

Just be careful when downloading the CABAL client from a different source other than our main site. You never know what other people may have done to it to possibly steal your information. I've seen it happen and it's not pretty :\

Also, moving to off-topic! Nice lookin' out, sn0wXz!

thanks for move; i agree asking for client to be uploaded via forums is unfortunately too risky to trust users, and the client is updated on official site quite often, making the torrent even less attractive for receiving a client that will work, and not give "update is larger then client, download full client instead" dialog prompt when installer is not 100% current.

im not trying to knock torrents in anyway, alot of the sites will have proper channels for help and support to report files violating copyright or infected files, as well they have "trusted users" which can upload files with icons given by the site hosts to show the user has reputation to provide clean files, and gives that file in the search query first - over the other unverified, untrusted files.

i myself dont find any problems downloading from main site, and i think the majority of the community would fall in that category also, but unless torrent file is violating copyright, its perfectly legal, but not practical for downloading cabal considering the risks and problems that can arise from the torrent sources for unknown uploaders or new files.

cya round.
    wa (unbanned) ||| other wa (r.i.p)
    Bot Mutiny?! ||| wiz (r.i.p.)
    noob WI (r.i.p.) ||| Yuan