Facebook Twitter Youtube Twitch
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The official Windows 7 ultimate issue thread.

The official Windows 7 ultimate issue thread.

Ok. I think I may be having a relatively common problem among users with windows 7 ultimate 64bit. Ever since the game guard update, many of us have gotten error 114, I imagine. For those of you who are uninformed, it basically says this: "An error has been detected by the hacking protection system."

It would look like this:

I intend to go over in great detail what i have done to remedy this error myself, hoping to narrow down the number of causes until we can find a fix. Or a need to push cabal to adopt the update which supposedly makes gameguard compatible with windows 7 platforms. If such is the case.

Cabal worked for me perfectly before the the server transfer and the implementation of gameguard. I have without a doubt narrowed this issue down to a gameguard related problem.

I have installed the game client and file checked it multiple times, as well as doing fresh downloads and complete installations with all firewalls and anti virus software completely off. To ensure this, I literally used the task manager to shut down all processes not critical to my computer staying on. I will also point out the game has been ran in various compatibility modes (XP service packs 2-3, and all those of vista).

I have deleted the game guard folder, and attempted to let it update itself multiple times. But to no avail, still getting error 114 and am unable to log into the game from windows 7 ultimate (which runs far smoother than my VM). Also, I have attempted replacing the gameguard.des with versions of itself that supposedly worked universally with other games on 7 (usually not ultimate from the forum chatter). Then gameguard updates itself. When I delete the gameguard folder it usually redownloads itself, filling files 1/9. Then I run the game multiple times without it updating, just authenticating. However, change the file and it usually updates 1 or 2 things instead of nine (unlike with a full delete), and I still get the same error. This leads me to believe game guard is changing itself back to the default setting it was given in. And again, same error.

I have installed the game in pretty much every compatibility mode too. No cigar. And i noticed something else related to this error. *erhems* I needed to make sure gameguard was turning on, and staying on. So as I started the game in windowed mode (also ran it in full screen), I also checked out my services. It never turns on, for even a second as far as my services go. The service never says "started". I think this is essentially my biggest problem. I have tried manuelly starting it, but I get this:

Problem is, it never really starts. Ever. . . I have also attempted running the game with all antivirus and firewall software disabled. In addition to installing it that way. Needless to remention, in various compatibility modes. These tactics have been tried with both game guards original files, and the modified ones I suspect it changes back to normal. Also. . . There is a file in my sysWOW64 folder called GameMon.des, obviously a gameguard file I suspect keeps the others in line and perhaps related to this problem. I utterly hate the fact the game's security is utilizing rootkit tactics, by the way.

But this topic is about getting this 'rootkit' to at least make our games run, and not be a pain in the ass to uninstall while it sits eating up our system resources for nothing. After all, if I can't make our games go, it has no business latching hold of deep dll files in our registry. Yes, for those of you who are curious, uninstalling gameguard is not as simple as getting rid of the game it came bundled with. It won't appear in your programs list for a reason.

So. Ideas?
    Last edited by Balegrim; 04-02-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Personally, I'm outta ideas myself. I have a different problem: Cabal logs on and after three minutes it blue screens. Every. Single. Time. I'm running x64 Windows 7 Professional. This ONLY happens from Cabal, and it ONLY happened after GameGuard was installed.

I've seen a fix for other games that use GameGuard in which they replace an old GameGuard.des file with an updated one, but the problem is that the launcher appears to auto-update/reinstall the old one on launch. Right now all I can hope is for GameGuard to release a patch that fixes the issue, or if they already have, then for ESTsoft to update GameGuard already.

Exactly what I've noticed myself, Alf. Good to see there are people in the same boat.

Not that I'm glad for your suffering. XD But, well, you know what I mean. Though I simply can't get to logging in. I've heard the blue screen is related to windows detecting game guard playing with your registry, so it shuts down.

Don't worry, I had the feeling of relief too of not being the odd man out. XD

I haven't yet ruled out DirectX version conflicts; what interests me is that some people are able to run Cabal on Windows 7 (my friend being one of them on his laptop running Ultimate) while we can't, and at the same time even some Vista users are having trouble.

Do you play any higher end games like Modern Warfare 2 and such?

My rig has a sweeatch video card, 6 gigs of ddr3 tri channel, and an I7 processor (8 cores baby, and it does gigatransfers). But yeah, i play higher end games. Mass effect two. Call of duty (liked WoW) and some other titles that are none too old (dragon age). It handles most things I throw at it very well.

And yes, the diversity of this issue is rather intriguing. Albeit annoying. Still, all of us seven suffers should keep busting our braisn for answers. I've tried everything I can think of short of attempting to learn hacking, which i refuse to do (for now).

That's interesting because you're the third to report problems with a high-end system. Perhaps a trend here?

Well i have three high end systems (if thats what you want to call it =_=) and now two work fine for cabal, at first one of the two 64 bits failed to log in due to gameguard which i fixed by simply reinstalling the client o.o the 32 bit is fine... it had skin glitches like they were going out of style but none the less fixed now and runs smooth... the other 64 bit is running into a brick wall with cabal for some reason, probably due to gameguard's thing with being stupid towards matters... so it could be issues with 64 bits.... we will just have to wait and find out through later tests.
    Last edited by Forgotten; 04-03-2010 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balegrim View Post
    My rig has a sweeatch video card, 6 gigs of ddr3 tri channel, and an I7 processor (8 cores baby, and it does gigatransfers). But yeah, i play higher end games. Mass effect two. Call of duty (liked WoW) and some other titles that are none too old (dragon age). It handles most things I throw at it very well.

And yes, the diversity of this issue is rather intriguing. Albeit annoying. Still, all of us seven suffers should keep busting our braisn for answers. I've tried everything I can think of short of attempting to learn hacking, which i refuse to do (for now).
    Unless I'm missing something i7 only has 4 cores or 6 cores (the high end ones). You're probably confused by the virtual cores it makes through HT.

Anyways, my laptop has win 7 ultimate 64 bit, runs cabal with no problems. My desktop has the same thing, BSODs about 10 minutes after running cabal.

Red-Osmium
    dats y u should never hav new windows obtained to early, not many compatibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyAlpha View Post
    dats y u should never hav new windows obtained to early, not many compatibilities.
    And that's why you should stop spamming threads without reading them.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast