Facebook Twitter Youtube Twitch

Thread: Computer won't start

Titanium

Computer won't start

Okay so...this morning like at 3 am, i alt tab out of a game to close some stuff, go back in and i see all the resolution is messed up and then my computer shutsdown. I turn on my computer, it's still messed up. So i slept on it, woke up and everything was back to normal. So that afternoon, I accidentally do the same thing and it shuts down on me. I check every couple hours, but my computer still doesn't start, by that I mean it won't go past the second screen (has two options: launch windows repair and start windows normally). I tried the repair, but it is not working. Im going to leave it alone for this night and see what happens again. Also, Im posting this from my lapopn, it is my desktop that is not working. Can someone explain what is happening to my computer and how I can fix it? Please and thanks.

Well dude i had the same prob, idk if ts about graphic problems actually i dont think so, but lsn, first of all do u use p2p networking downloaders? be carefull i once got a virus that went right on the Bios of my pc and it was hell i couldnt even start the pc, every time i tried to start the pc reboot by itself it was hell but again, be carefull on that, also do some maintainence, maybe u have the processaor zone full of dust and the fan and the heat dissipator too, and that will maybe cuz ur pc to shut down cuz of the overheat, some times the pc´s do that is a way that the processator have to avoid damage by over heat, check that, thats all i can say bro GL!

Titanium
    I hope so, this morning i restored it to its "original factory condition", im using a hp computer. Completely reformatted to the begining. Still not going past the blue screen screen. And the resolution is still messed up. The two options before the blue screen are "start windows normally, and launch windows repair". Both of which are not working. What are p2p networking downloaders? Also what should i do to fix this? You mean unscrew the hard disk and clean it out?

Retired (Perussing General Topics or Support)
    P2P=Peer to Peer File Sharing Programs like Bittorrent and such, torrents generally safe as they have a built in hash check feature as they download each chunk goes through a hash check, if doesn't match it dumps it and asks another peer to send the same chunk. Old Kazaa and EDonkey 2000 on the other hand, once they got really really popular had a lot, and I mean a lot of fake files that were trojans and such. So even with a Torrent it is still user beware and scan each file you download before opening or executing a file from an untrusted source. Comp safety 101.

OT
    If you have reset back to factory defaults without a full wipe and still getting a nerfed selection screen, they re-format didn't take properly. However an overheating issue could be the culprit could not. Sounds more like a driver is nerfed up. Installed any new devices, expansion cards, graphics cards etc??
    Sometimes different hardware don't play well with others, and older hardware could also be incompatable or compatability dropped by Micro$oft. Also a recent software, M$ Update, or M$ Patch could have caused what you are describing as well. Without really being in front of the sick Desktop all anyone can really do is shoot off ideas. Best bet would be to have your CD/DVD recovery disc set you should have burned first time you bought that HP pulled out and reboot from that to do any repair options or try for the reformat and reinstall option to do it cleanly I can say.
    Don't have that set, you are basically scr3w3d to do it cleanly. I'd suggest a full write the harddrive to all zeroes if I knew you knew anything about a Live Linux CD/DVD to boot from and do that b4 going the install route, would only need to wipe the windows partition to zeroes before a reformat and reinstall, leaving the recovery partition on the harddrive intact. With a boot lock up loop like you are describing, pain in the arse to fix any other way.
    Cleaning the comp is simple enough though, just need to open the case and use a computer certified compressed air spray and a lint free cloth to clean out dust from heat sinks, nooks and corners, for yes dust builds up and insulates heat in instead of dispersing out over time, just 1 or 2 screws to undo and one panel to remove, no other hardware really needs to come off.

Retired
    Account Passed On

Titanium
    Quote Originally Posted by Noir View Post
    i alt tab out of a game to close some stuff, go back in and i see all the resolution is messed up and then my computer shutsdown. this morning i restored it to its "original factory condition" Completely reformatted to the begining. Still not going past the blue screen screen. And the resolution is still messed up.
    Its obvoius the video card is having issues, try switching it to onboard video and see if that clears it up. If not then a new vid card should take care of it.