Facebook Twitter Youtube Twitch

Thread: Access Denied problems

Access Denied problems

I have downloaded the Cabal setup from www.cabal.com/main but when I try to run the installer it says my access was denied. I am an administrator and I also tried Run as... Administrator, but I am still denied. Also, I am unable to delete it, change the name, or do anything to the file whatsoever. I am running windows xp SP3. I also tried to add the installer to my firewall's list of allowed program but once again... access denied.
    Help is appreciated.

Retired (Perussing General Topics or Support)
    Did the download fully complete? Is your anti-virus busy scanning it after download, ie scanning from download temp directory to write to final save file if you are using IE, Firefox it will show scanning in the download manager dialog? Tried rebooting, see if a process is still hooked to it like your A/V just hanging is unhooked? Generally WinXP SP2 and SP3 don't have that many problems with the installer, unless the developers did something where you need minimum WinVista/7 to execute it, which is highly doubtful.

Would need more info beside that if none of the above applies, but does sound like your anti-virus is doing a lazy scan and still hooked to the final save file would be my first culprit.

Retired
    Account Passed On

It fully completed.
    I don't think my AV was scanning at the time, it only scanned the file for viruses after it finished, then that was it.
    I have restarted, and no luck.
    Also, I tried turning off AV before clicking it so it can't be doing anything silly can it?

If it helps, I am using Norton.

EDIT: It's working now, for whatever reason. The only difference is that this time when I tried to run it, instead of rebooting when it froze, I waited. Apparently it wasn't freezing, but loading very slowly. But it's all installed and updated now!
    Thanks
    Last edited by Coaster_Man; 09-25-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Retired (Perussing General Topics or Support)
    np, yeah, 1+gigs is a lot to decompress at once, going through a second A/V scan as it is accessed and read, and Norton being the bloat hog it is.

Retired
    Account Passed On