Facebook Twitter Youtube Twitch

Thread: Crash to Desktop

Crash to Desktop

I downloaded the game a few days ago and everytime I play i can play for about 1-2 minutes and then without any warning/error the game just crashes back to my desktop. Ive tried running in on minimum settings and with different resolutions. All my drivers are up-to-date and I have all Cabal files allowed through my firewall/antivir.

My system specs are:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz
    1gig of RAM
    Nvidia Gefoce 6500
    Windows XP Home SP3

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tandros View Post
    I downloaded the game a few days ago and everytime I play i can play for about 1-2 minutes and then without any warning/error the game just crashes back to my desktop. Ive tried running in on minimum settings and with different resolutions. All my drivers are up-to-date and I have all Cabal files allowed through my firewall/antivir.

My system specs are:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz
    1gig of RAM
    Nvidia Gefoce 6500
    Windows XP Home SP3

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
    While the cause could be numerous things, i think for this specific situation it would be keen to check and see if gameguard.des, or gamemon.des is running the process manager (ctrl alt delete), gamemon.des should remain open and there should be the gameguard icon in the bottom of the screen indicating gamegaurd is open and running for the duration of the game being opened.

Under most normal circumstances when its gameguard related there will be some notification in the form of a pop-up dialog box with error code/type, but i have experienced myself cabal being closed because of problems related to gameguards improper functioning.

With that small hassle out of the way, we can move on to troubleshooting the possible causes more in depth by first checking for any programs that could be causing cabal to crash. The most thorough procedure to complete would be a clean boot of your system, since your on XP and im on w7 keep in mind the windows will look a little different with the themes, but for the most part they will be the same to follow instructions on.

Start->

Run->MSConfig.exe

Now that you got the window open, i will just paste the same tutorial I posted in a corresponding thread in the bug report section for making sure no other programs/services are causing problems.

Click Selective start up, Load system services, Load startup items. (we modify the startup anyway so wont matter with the items)

Next click Services tab, Check mark "Hide all Microsoft services" then click Disable all. (The point of this is to "hide all microsoft services" so they are NOT disabled, thus leaving only 3rd party programs not necessary for windows to function that we can use the "disable all" button on.

Lastly you can check through the start up items and see if theres any anti virus program or such listed, and disable it; try to disable most of them until you can find out whats preventing the access to the internet and the client after shutting it down..

to undo the proccess, just type msconfig, and click "Normal Startup", which will ignore the selective programs you wanted to disable upon start up, and reboot to load normally after un-doing the changes made above, to test if cabal will function with the 3rd party programs not running like avast ect..

also on a side note make sure your running cabal with admin privelages, which includes turning off UAC (User account control), and right clicking the cabal and updater's .exes and going to properties, and then compatibility tab, and check marking the "run as admin option" on both .exes. I dont think XP has the UAC if I can recall last time i used it, although it was not SP3, but anyhow just make sure you check the admin privileges to be safe.

these are just opinions to help troubleshoot the problem if its related to any conflicting programs/services/privileges ect..
    Last edited by sn0wXz; 12-15-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: had to clean up quote for relevance to this threads o/s
    wa (unbanned) ||| other wa (r.i.p)
    Bot Mutiny?! ||| wiz (r.i.p.)
    noob WI (r.i.p.) ||| Yuan