Facebook Twitter Youtube Twitch

Thread: Game crashes when changes are made to the ingame settings

Game crashes when changes are made to the ingame settings

As the title says, I just formatted my PC and installed Cabal. I can play fine but I want to change my settings because I don't like how they are now. If I try to change it my game crashes and I get the ESTsoft error message. Am I possibly missing something? I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, installed .NET framework 4.0, DirectX and my graphics card drivers are the latest ones...

Bump? ._.

Just a quick question, Can you successfully change any settings in the launcher's options? It has options button to adjust range of view, skill effects, resolution ect ect.
    wa (unbanned) ||| other wa (r.i.p)
    Bot Mutiny?! ||| wiz (r.i.p.)
    noob WI (r.i.p.) ||| Yuan

Sadly the option I'm trying to change isn't in the launcher options, it's the option to make the UI either bigger or smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by KeelzYou View Post
    Sadly the option I'm trying to change isn't in the launcher options, it's the option to make the UI either bigger or smaller.

ah ok one sec ill edit this if i can find which file see if you can manually edit for now until a GM gives you a official response, I've never heard of this happening before so I have basically no suggestions. A distant and probably annoying suggestion would be to re-install from fresh download; however given the nature of the crash after adjusting that option, I'm inclined to believe its not from the installer...

Also are you able to adjust any settings ingame, just not the UI size? If not does the launcher successfully change settings where you can't ingame? From your first post I got the impression you couldn't change any settings without crash, its just the UI size setting?

edit #1: Also check Start -> Run... -> "eventvwr" -> Windows Logs -> Application to see if there is any application error for cabal when it crashes after adjusting the UI size.

btw I don't think you can manually edit it, its looking like its probably a .dat file.
    Last edited by sn0wXz; 01-06-2012 at 11:04 AM.

There is no application error in the Event Viewer when it crashes and it crashes when I change any setting... :/

There is no application error in the Event Viewer when it crashes and it crashes when I change any setting... :/
    Lower the resolution your at now, if you can via Launcher options. Then once ingame try adjusting the UI size. I don't have any clue what to suggest other then re download and see if it still occurs, sry! hopefully GM will beable to shed some light on that bug, as I've never encountered anyone that experienced it.

btw is your cabal running in admin mode? this is just random suggestion I myself as a normal player would use to see if there is a way around the "bug". the reason i suggest checking if cabalmain.exe 's properties have run as admin is only my assumption that somehow its having trouble writing the file, which is probably not even related but again its just stuff I would try to avoid the settings crash. I would recommend trying re-download just so when GM does come and read this you have taken most of the common steps to attempt to resolve.

edit:

crash-to-desktop with no error dialog, I would follow the protocol EU version was using to submit tickets, and try submitting to EST:

"- Operating system:
    - OS Build:
    - 32 or 64-bit:
    - RAM:
    - Processor:
    - Graphics card:
    - Graphics card driver version:

Step 2:

Start -> Run... -> "eventvwr" -> Windows Logs -> Application

Start -> Run... -> "dxdiag" -> Display

Screenshot and upload for viewing also."

That was posted by a GM of eu related to trying to find fixes for crash to desktop without error msg. Maybe the same information gathering could apply to you and you can send directly to EST instead of having to use a publisher as middle man. good luck.
    Last edited by sn0wXz; 01-06-2012 at 11:40 AM.

I think I figured out why it was crashing, I was using a custom resolution which Cabal probably doesn't support which made it crash when I changed a setting. I put a lower resolution like you said and tried to change it and it worked, so thank you lol.

I think I figured out why it was crashing, I was using a custom resolution which Cabal probably doesn't support which made it crash when I changed a setting. I put a lower resolution like you said and tried to change it and it worked, so thank you lol.

Ah ok, disregard the information gathering. That was pretty simple troubleshooting Lol.