Facebook Twitter Youtube Twitch

Thread: Cabal Startup

Cabal Startup

Hey all, I have a problem when I start up Cabal.

Every time I double click the icon on my desktop to start Cabal, update.exe runs, because I see it via task manager, but the window that says "Start" doesn't show up. This happens randomly.

One way it has worked was, I open task manager, and end the update.exe process, and run cabal again. It downloads update.exe and runs, but again the window that has the big button "Start" doesn't show up. I have to do this several times, it can be 3, there was once I deleted and re downloaded update.exe 37 times before the window finally decided to show/run.

Another way was to re-install cabal, I've had to re-install it twice.

Both ways are really tedious and tiring.

No error boxes come up when doing this. I've let update.exe stay running for around an hour, and nothing happened.

If anyone has ever encountered this, or if any Mods can relay this to the game developers, it would be really awesome.

Thanks.

EDIT with computer specs and type of Cabal:

Computer Specs:
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Intel Core 2 4300 @ 1.80GHz (2 CPUS)
    3070 MB of RAM
    229GB Hard Drive
    GeForce 7300 LE 512MB
    DirectX Version: 9.0c

NA Cabal
    Last edited by Classic; 10-06-2012 at 02:32 PM.

One thing you might try is make a short cut to "Cabal.exe" instead of "Cabalmain.exe" see how that may work for you.

The Warrior's way - Kill'm all and let God sort them out later.

Quote Originally Posted by truely false View Post
    One thing you might try is make a short cut to "Cabal.exe" instead of "Cabalmain.exe" see how that may work for you.
    I've tried running from the shortcut on my desktop. I've gone into C:\Program Files\Cabal\ and ran cabal.exe and cabalmain.exe myself directly; with still relying on continuously running these programs until it decides, oh hey let's start up now.

Thanks for the suggestion!

another idea is check your fire wall and make exceptions for "cabal.exe, cabalmain.exe and update.exe" also check what proccesses are running and try to minimize the process list to what is essential...hope these ideas help.

The Warrior's way - Kill'm all and let God sort them out later.

Quote Originally Posted by truely false View Post
    another idea is check your fire wall and make exceptions for "cabal.exe, cabalmain.exe and update.exe" also check what proccesses are running and try to minimize the process list to what is essential...hope these ideas help.
    Coincidentally, I disabled the firewall/antivirus once, and cabal started up, after trying multiple times by running cabal/cabalmain.exe multiple times. I've disabled the firewall/antivirus again, and it doesn't work.

Oh and I've tried re-installing, and it doesn't start up.
    I've tried uninstalling, re-installing, and it doesn't start up.
    I've tried uninstalling, cleaning registry, cleaning computer of files, re-installing, and it doesn't start up.
    Checked for viruses, spyware, etc, nothing found.

So I can scratch out re-installing Cabal as one of the options to start up cabal, as that clearly doesn't work.

Thanks for the posts truely false, I appreciate you posting and trying to help out!

Figured it would be something with updating my .NET, so I updated it yesterday, and coincidentally Cabal started fine. Let's see if its not the re-installing issue; in the sense that it works coincidentally.

I have the same issue and also cannot find any answers. I had to wait it off for a few days before it worked and the problem is happening again.... I have also tried all the methods mentioned on this thread but no go. I'd imagine reformatting might work but that's such a pain in the butt...

Update: Instead of disabling your firewall/antivirus, try to put the entire cabal folder into the exception. It seemed to work for me. Either a coincidence or it might be the solution. Good luck.
    Last edited by lazyboy92; 10-16-2012 at 06:06 PM.