Facebook Twitter Youtube Twitch
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What destroys a guild?

What destroys a guild?

Drama.

What causes drama?

Gears (Alz, drops, etc) or Members (personality, loyalty/trustworthiness - behavior).
    Theres an obvious correlation but I dont think we can prove of this correlation as the cause ---- in Statistics.

I need to hear from others based on their experience. Theres only one answer (Gears or Members), this could help me gather data so try to be constructive. Dont make long sentences. Im just going to look at one word (Gears or Members) to gather info.

TY
    In another dimension...Miavii is still alive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku4vL17sEEU&edit=vd

The core member leaving the game (Guild leader and such, even if they give the lead to someone else i've often seen good guild die this way)

flop

^
    ^
    >.> not the newly created guild and cant recruit active members kind of guild, im talking about guilds that have been doing fine for months or years then suddenly died because someone stole from the guild bank for alz (gears), someone important leaving and pulling an x amount of members with him.
    In another dimension...Miavii is still alive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku4vL17sEEU&edit=vd

I've had some bad experience, One of them is guild leader don't take the members to dungeons, guild leader being inactive, members with to much of a big ego thinking their all that and only duo dungeons, stupid people who start drama, people who get rare drops such as seh and others don't get any, seaming people and just really really inactive people.

Venus kills guilds

FB lvl 180 da best
    Tank status
    HAR HAR HAR C_C

Osmium
    members
    ~quit~

Shadow Titanium
    Nuclear bombs.

Titanium
    Baddies kill guilds . Ex : Zero

Shadow Titanium
    Stupidity is probably the worse guild killer. Any faction can fit in the "stupidity" category.

I'll name a few in detail after being in a few guilds and clans online what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathlymonkey View Post
    The core member leaving the game (Guild leader and such, even if they give the lead to someone else i've often seen good guild die this way)
    This is a huge factor. Each guild is different, but the main quality is having a good leader to keep the guild intact. The guild itself was founded and recruit a good 80% of the time because the people trust and respect the guild leader. I would never join a guild if the leader is someone I didn't respect the leader. To me, bad leader - bad guild. Leadership is a large position in the guild and the core of the structure.

Quote Originally Posted by IFrost View Post
    I've had some bad experience, One of them is guild leader don't take the members to dungeons, guild leader being inactive, members with to much of a big ego thinking their all that and only duo dungeons, stupid people who start drama, people who get rare drops such as seh and others don't get any, seaming people and just really really inactive people.
    This is also a huge way to see that your guild leader doesn't respect his/her members, if leaders wanted a guild to run dungeons with, he/she should make sure that the members he recruits CAN run with his to unify the guild. If the members cannot, then he should feel a bit responsible to coach, advise or help his/her members to upgrade so they run together.

If the guild leader is inactive, it shows a clear sign that the leader doesn't have much care for the guild and just wants the "status" of leader or owning a guild. I'm not pointing out people that are leaders and have a valid reason to be inactive, so long as the members know why and when the leader can be around to manage guild.

Ego MAY be a part of a guild's failure but if the guild is composed of elitists, you won't see much failure. The only time I've seen this is if some of the players cannot keep up with better gear, the elitists either kick the "noobs" or leave entirely to form their own guild.

Duoing is not so bad but why would you join a guild if you can do most of the dungeons with your partner? But, most of the people I've seen that duo fall into the elitist group and it doesn't change much really. If the people that do duo can function with the guild as much as the two people can handle their dungeons, the problem won't surface.

Rare drops, I see no reason why members in the guild should profit from rare drops in dungeon runs that they did not join, unless the drops are sold (hopefully under a discount) or the members that ran are very generous. Rare drops should be chosen by - If it's a piece that a certain member can use/need in their class - if no one can use/need then either sell to guildie/give or divide the profits by selling. That is, if that scenario does not fall into elitist guild.

Activeness, Never join guilds that 70% of the members are inactive. Shows the guild recruits for numbers instead of quality. Leaders should recruit people who are mostly active a couple hours DURING the week and more during weekends. This way, people will be online during the week to farm/grind/dungeon and the guild will still keep the core of activeness to stabilize the guild.

Power hunger. Leaders or make people admins/moderator that cannot help but feel like having a bit of "power" means they are better than anyone else. Admins should be made by vote of the guild since they will be the one dealing with those players. Leader may think they did a good job by making a certain player admin while he's away but the players are the one that knows who they can trust to deal with drama and other circumstances.

Drama. There's a few general examples here that usually kills the atmosphere for everyone. Main ones are power hungry leader/admin, elitists, new members that are not used to other member's personalities, online relationships (aka dating). Again, elitists usually stick together so they really don't interfere with casual gamers.

Language barriers. If you don't understand English/Spanish/French, join a guild that the members do. If you join a English dominant guild, PLEASE have a good sense to know good English enough to communicate. I cannot stress this enough to join guilds that can understand it's members. I would not join a guild that does not speak English or French, how will you get answers if there's any problems? Or communicate during dungeon runs?

Communication is a pretty huge factor, guilds that are solid on having a website and/or voice service shows that they are committed to stay in touch with their members. If your guild is new and you see people are starting to join and they are good members, try making a free hosted forum and use a free voice server like RaidCall. Yes, it's free and may not do everything you want but if guild fails, then you didn't waste money.

Recruiting. As much as new guilds want members and recruit people, try being a bit "picky" with members and not take a bunch of people you don't know. Set a level, no need to be uber leveled if you're a new guild. Try maybe level 50+ since it's pretty easy to level now. At 50 the player have a good basic on what their class does and how their skills plays out in the environment. Ask how many hours a week they play during school time, it's not something you can offend people with. You want your guild to work so set yourself if you're an elitist guild or casual. It's not bad being picky, ask around if the player is a scammer, hacker, etc. If you want your guild to have a good reputation, that's the time to start. another thing to consider is the age sensitivity. Be mindful of the kids in game. Try recruiting someone that is a bit mature, I've seen 15 year olds more mature than 40 year olds.

Trust your admins. Before you give any control to your admins, give a time period on when to give them access to your guild bank. Yes you want the bank to be accessible but make sure you fully trust those that have access to not steal your stuff. Storage is for the guild entirely, so it affects more than one and can literally push back a guild if the items are very useful.

Hackers/botters/scammers/cheaters etc. Whatever you may call them, if the core of the guild consist of them. As much as you love your guild, if they're banned the guild will fall. Usually the people that do cheat are the geared people that help/sell and make the market and at the same time, can ruin a guild reputation and it will affect your own. You may not be a hacker but a known hacker and the guild he-/she is in will be affected. If they hide it really well and they're banned, then it's not a huge infection unless someone else makes a thread and constantly makes a huge deal about it if the members/leader are unaware of the issue.

Expanding. If you want a successful guild/clan, try to indulge or expand too much in multiple games. Yes you play 6 games but you're weakening the guild by doing so. Most members will leave to find a guild that only plays a certain game or the guild members will divide n 2-3 games thus making your dungeon runs smaller. If you have a good 50+ members that are fully active and have admins that can mange then by all means, go for it.

KOS/PK/PVP guilds. If you're not into that, don't join. Easy.

And elitists may be s to people but without them, guides and videos on how to complete dungeons or where a certain item is dropped or that awesome piece of gear you want and saved up wouldn't be around if not for them. So try to be lenient with them, okay some boast about it but they put time and money into their character to be where they are.

I think I got all the points. If I'm missing one, let me know. o.O
    Last edited by Jessifer; 01-18-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast