Facebook Twitter Youtube Twitch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please

Please

Gms do not mess anything up no offense , but last time we had a merger i lost my account and it still is and if im not mistaking others was to, so take ur times gms and ty for the merger

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Gms do not mess anything up no offense , but last time we had a merger i lost my account and it still is and if im not mistaking others was to, so take ur times gms and ty for the merger
    We should be ok. Last time was from one company to another. This is basically like moving your movies folder to your other hard drive. Both owned by you.

This page has had 35,723 visits (Retired)
    My FB Guide
    Contact me for anything for the wiki: [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Valdoroth View Post
    We should be ok. Last time was from one company to another. This is basically like moving your movies folder to your other hard drive. Both owned by you.

nice way to put it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Valdoroth View Post
    Your analogy is simple but the merger is not as simple as one might think. Migrating terabits of data from one location to another may sound simple but in the process there can be data loss/corruption. You know it’s not as simple as a copy and paste. I get that you’re trying to ease the communities concern but let’s keep it real.

The Warrior's way - Kill'm all and let God sort them out later.

Quote Originally Posted by truely false View Post
    Your analogy is simple but the merger is not as simple as one might think. Migrating terabits of data from one location to another may sound simple but in the process there can be data loss/corruption. You know it’s not as simple as a copy and paste. I get that you’re trying to ease the communities concern but let’s keep it real.
    While this is true, and in general, database merges are very difficult to pull off correctly (particularly if the different instances have conflicting primary keys), there are utilities and tools that can help ease the process and prevent data corruption. I don't know what kind of engine they use, but at my work each database can create what is called a "transaction", where if the operation fails, all data is as if it never even started, preventing corruption. I really hope that they are implementing something similar if they are moving a whole server's worth of player data into a database with other player data.

I agree that if it takes an extra two hours to get it right, they should take the two hours. Technology always fights back.

Quote Originally Posted by Enso View Post
    While this is true, and in general, database merges are very difficult to pull off correctly (particularly if the different instances have conflicting primary keys), there are utilities and tools that can help ease the process and prevent data corruption. I don't know what kind of engine they use, but at my work each database can create what is called a "transaction", where if the operation fails, all data is as if it never even started, preventing corruption. I really hope that they are implementing something similar if they are moving a whole server's worth of player data into a database with other player data.

I agree that if it takes an extra two hours to get it right, they should take the two hours. Technology always fights back.
    +1 agreed

The Warrior's way - Kill'm all and let God sort them out later.

Quote Originally Posted by truely false View Post
    +1 agreed

Nawhs, watch them posting at the top of the hour : "Oops we're sorry we lost all data. Everyone starts fresh "

Osmium
    As long as they don't merge and add more random numbers to my name I'll be fine.

inb4 trapizium3.14159265358979323846264338327 etc

HP broke VRS stat ceiling again >.<

hurry up already i wanna steal some names..

CrafterRetired

2 char with same name, just like 2 files with same name, would you like to replace the files? Gm: ok , Gm: O crap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast