Facebook Twitter Youtube Twitch
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A world cup event?

Quote Originally Posted by Leonhart View Post
    Yea, I already brought up being American as well.

Fully aware the sport is not popular here in the United States. I wrote an analysis of that my freshman year in College and it mentioned the truthful points that you have stated in this thread. But there is a significant support of the sport.

It's a decent sized crowd they have an outdoor patio area with a large TV. I'm a few blocks away so the sound has to be somewhat significant. I will admit that my school does attract a lot of international students though since we have some of the top Academic programs in the nation.

I may just be in a more diverse area. I've seen a lot of US Jerseys around today. And my Facebook has been flooded with comments about the game. Also Google displays the match in their Doodle today as well. I wasn't aware of the game initially either until I heard all the cheering lol. We're usually in the cup we just never Win.

Posted by one of my friends: "Fun fact: approximately half of the US team speaks English as a second language"
    Just like how half the NHL is Canadian lol.

Soccer is popular with the young kids. And I believe the main reason is parents do not want their kids playing football. I have 4 friends who refuse to let their kids play football, but will let them play soccer. I played football for 11 years and I can understand why they refuse to let their kids play. It is definitely not a sport for the faint of heart.

Shadow Titanium
    ^ or women

The values that Soccer instills in a child are better than what you would get from American Football.

[American] Football is a very American sport, there's no denying that. But the world's view of America is not a pretty one. We lost our status as most desirable country in the world long ago.

Also the WASP ruling class that once dominated our nation is fading. This country continues to become more diverse by the day.
    Last edited by Leonhart; 06-16-2014 at 10:56 PM.
    <Templar>
    Hakuteiken - FB: 17X || Heartilly - Wiz:18X

Quote Originally Posted by Triplethreat View Post
    so the "we" is the US. Didn't know they were playing, and actually didn't even know they made the World Cup. And just because a few people at a bar scream and yell does not mean the sport is popular here. At least I hope that is not what you are saying. Soccer will never be king in the US. I don't even think it will even beat any of the big 4. Hell, I don't even think it will top Neckcar.
    There was a HUGE crowd shown in Chicago (as well as NYC and other states/cities) on ESPN while the game was going on, as well as half the stadium was filled with USA fans alone. Not to mention plane tickets from the USA going to Brazil were literally SOLD OUT, it seems that soccer is pretty popular in the USA (from what I saw anyway). I do admit though, there is A LOT of flopping in soccer, but there wasn't that much in the games I watched yesterday. Plus, I personally prefer watching soccer over NASCAR.
    Last edited by -Itachi Uchiha-; 06-16-2014 at 11:10 PM.

"Trusting in someone is the same as depending on them. That is something the weak do. I have no use for it."
    "Distance only has meaning in a fight between equals. With you and I, distance holds no meaning at all. Watch... If I do this, my hand is almost instantly at your heart."

Quote Originally Posted by -Itachi Uchiha- View Post
    There was a HUGE crowd shown in Chicago (as well as NYC and other states/cities) on ESPN while the game was going on, as well as half the stadium was filled with USA fans alone. Not to mention plane tickets from the USA going to Brazil were literally SOLD OUT, it seems that soccer is pretty popular in the USA (from what I saw anyway). I do admit though, there is A LOT of flopping in soccer, but there wasn't that much in the games I watched yesterday. Plus, I personally prefer watching soccer over NASCAR.
    The world cup is a novelty...that's it. As soon as it's over, soccer will hardly be thought of here until the next world cup. If you want to say soccer is pretty popular once every 4 years for a month in the summer when there isn't a whole lot going on, I'll agree. However, if you were to put the world cup game on at the same time as the SuperBowl, the world cup would get crushed in the ratings. There really is no disputing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonhart View Post
    The values that Soccer instills in a child are better than what you would get from American Football.

[American] Football is a very American sport, there's no denying that. But the world's view of America is not a pretty one. We lost our status as most desirable country in the world long ago.

Also the WASP ruling class that once dominated our nation is fading. This country continues to become more diverse by the day.
    Yet if something bad happens, like a disaster or they need help fighting off enemies, who do they look to for help?

Quote Originally Posted by Triplethreat View Post
    Yet if something bad happens, like a disaster or they need help fighting off enemies, who do they look to for help?
    You mean when we butt in unwanted? UN, that name is pretty misleading since we pretty much run it. Our country has it's own Agenda and bullies the world to get it's way. Of course you gotta do some humanitarian work to make yourself look better. Prime example of Corporate Mericuh right there.

And who helps us when we have disasters? We help other countries in need, and other countries help us when we're in need. That's the point to FIFA and the Olympics, they gather the world around a single united cause, throw all our differences aside. Disasters have a tendency to do that as well.

Are you even aware of Operation Yellow Ribbon?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXbxoy4Mges

Since the video is kinda long.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Yellow_Ribbon
    <Templar>
    Hakuteiken - FB: 17X || Heartilly - Wiz:18X

futbol in the usa's come long ways since 2002.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345