PDA

View Full Version : Cabal shuts down after gameguard loads

Silverkid103
05-17-2011, 07:23 AM
I downloaded the newest cabal this morning onto my windows 7 computer(first time i downloaded cabal on this computer) and it works up until it starts to load gamegear(with the thing in the top left corner and the box in the center). The top left corner loader thingy appears to completely finish, but then nothing happens and the box in the center disppears after like 2 seconds. Then nothingness. I don't know what to do. I pressed allow on cabal on my firewall, i even disabled the firewall and tried it. I have my UAC turned off. I don't know whats causing it to just...stop.

SilverIceForum
05-17-2011, 01:34 PM
right click>run as administrator

try that first, even with UAC disabled, win Vista/7 you have to explicitly elevate a program's privledges to run as administrator.

To make it run as admin every time, right click>properties>compatability>check mark run as administrator.

if that still don't work, even with the A/V firewall disabled, some parts of it can be running as background services would be my next place to look.

Akhana
05-23-2011, 09:26 AM
So, to play Cabal, I have to allow Game Guard to change registry files or disable UAC, I now also have to disable my A/V? It's a great game and I love it, but that's alot of risky decisions I'm not cozy with making....

Any other solutions out there? :confused:

SilverIceForum
05-23-2011, 03:06 PM
So, to play Cabal, I have to allow Game Guard to change registry files or disable UAC, I now also have to disable my A/V? It's a great game and I love it, but that's alot of risky decisions I'm not cozy with making....

Any other solutions out there? :confused:

Generally speaking, most of your more commercial A/V products like Norton, McAfee, and others are to packaged together in "Internet Security Suites" and such. Not as if that is a bad thing, yet however, the A/V products integrated with firewalls and such, if the A/V has an issue with the way Gameguard works, technically it is a worm/trojan, by monitoring for hardware and software scripts at an elevated "Admin Level Privledge", they flag it as malware of some sort and prevent it from running, wether by actual virus definition or heuristics AI. Win2k/WinXP/WinServer 2k3 generally just being logged into an Administrator account automatically allowed every program run at that Privledged level without further tweaking or explicit allowance by the user. Microsoft smartly took a page out of the Unix/Linux world in WinVista/Win7 by now, even if you are logged in as an Administrator, programs needing that Privledged level of usage need to be manually selected by the right click>run as method, or the shortcut manually set up in Compatiblity options to run at Admin Level Privledge, so like I said, try the right click>run as administator method first before going and disabling your A/V and such, and if it fixes the issue of the game not starting, set up the compatibility option in the shortcut properties.

If after that, the game fails to load if you are running any version of Windows that will run Cabal (Win2k/XP and up), then start looking into either replacing your A/V-Firewall product with one that has no current issues with Cabal/Gameguard's way of running, or check your documentation of how to add exceptions to your A/V and/or opening up Cabal/Gameguard to go through your firewall.

If highly suggest against ever disabling your security software entirely, there are ways to run select profiles in windows to boot into to allow you to play Cabal with the A/V, security suite disabled in that profile, then when done, reboot into your standard everyday profile.

If your game runs fines without doing any of this then have fun, and don't worry about this anymore :)

Akhana
06-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the info. Even when running as Admin on Windows 7, I have occasional Game Guard crashes but it's happening less often now. I have some things to figure out...

kimayann
08-08-2011, 07:49 AM
i have the same problem with u man pleas help me too i need to play cabal

kimayann
08-08-2011, 08:02 AM
hey dude will u please find a solution to this problem,tnx men i appreciate ur post here