PDA

View Full Version : An Interview With a Botter:

MarsRaps
06-13-2011, 01:14 AM
I want to first point out that this in no way condones botting or any form of breaking the ToS. Please read the entire post before commenting. Also, I did set up a follow up interview, in which I will ask questions posted via comments, so if you have something you would like to ask, please let me know. Sorry, it is a bit long.

After being a troll on forums I have noticed one thing, botter talk is everywhere. However, the people behind these programs never speak their mind to the community. Most people don’t care to even hear what they have to say, but it is at least interesting to see the point of view of people breaking the rules.
For example in OGp's Cabal I was fortunate enough to run into a few botters while doing BGs. I sent in-game mail and even asked some guildies if they knew of anyone that used these programs, and I finally came across someone willing to talk via Ventrilo about the botter’s life. I of course paraphrased the answers, and gave a pseudo name as part of the anonymous agreement. Here is what this botter had to say.

MarsRaps: How long have you been botting?

effj89: I’ve done it for almost a year now.

MarsRaps: What is your main goal of botting?

effj89: It is mainly to keep up with the game. Playing Cabal is extremely time consuming, without this I wouldn’t be able to play and enjoy the content that I would want to.

MarsRaps: So do you just bot to make gold, farm honor, or level characters?

effj89: At first I focused on farming crafting materials to make as much gold as possible. However, you would end up with so many materials, that eventually you could flood the market and ruin the economy. I’m not using the bot to ruin the game for others, so now I just use it to help with farming honor or getting an alt leveled up.

MarsRaps: What would you say to someone that tells you that if you can’t play the game legitimately, then you shouldn’t play at all?

effj89: Well, MMORPGs are definitely different then entering a cheat code in a single player game. I honestly have played the game for a few years, and have done most content legitimately. After a while, the game becomes somewhat of an addiction. You end up logging on when you’re bored, and sometime it gets so bad that you feel that you have to play. After a while I just got tired of wasting my life grinding honor and killing pointless mobs. I used the bot to help me edge out the time that I played in the game, and put it towards work and school, both of which I have now set a focus on, instead of Cabal. I honestly feel that there are some things in the game literally meant to waste your time or even get you addicted. I use the bot to enjoy a game, because in the end, that’s what matters to me.

MarsRaps: Even so, don’t you feel that it is wrong, and that maybe MMOs aren’t for you?

effj89: No, not at all. I love certain aspects of the game a lot, and I honestly used to enjoy grinding quests or farming for alz and amp drops. But, it gets to a point where you’re literally wasting your life on trivial parts of the game that are meant to keep you playing and keep you paying. Look at archaeology. You have to spend almost 30-40 hours getting it to max level, and then on top of that it has RNGs for not only the fragments that you collect, but also the artifacts that you can build. Your life isn’t meant to be spent flying around in a game, just to get a 2h weapon that will be outdated in a few months.

MarsRaps: Do you have any fear of getting banned?

effj89: Definitely not, and it isn’t just because I could bot another character or something like that. It is against the rules and if I got banned I would probably be upset for a bit, but I would deserve it. Honestly though, it seems Cabals focus is not on botters, even though they say it is. I should have been banned many times already, to be honest.

MarsRaps: Would you like to get out any other information to the Cabal community about botters?

effj89: Not all botters are out to ruin the game for everyone. I don’t think I deserve to get items or gold for free, but I do think I deserve to play the fun parts of a game if I want to. Don’t take Cabal too seriously, because five years from now, you’ll be playing Titan and not giving a sh*t about what you did in Cabal. Better yet, maybe you won’t be addicted to MMOs at all.

[End of interview]

I3athtub
06-13-2011, 01:26 AM
Interesting