Facebook Twitter Youtube Twitch

Thread: Intsaller crashes my computer

Exclamation Intsaller crashes my computer

I have downloaded Cabal online and when ever i try to run the installer it freezes up my computer. Even when i try to delete the installer it freezes my computer. Plz help :S

Retired (Perussing General Topics or Support)
    Hmmm, a little vague on the details there. No error codes, or error reports from Windows Event Viewer??

Only thing I can think of, and it happened to me all the time when installing Cabal, you anti-virus on access scan is parsing the installer file before allowing it to execute. The installer is a large file, 1+ Gigs, that takes a while, and if your anti-virus is big time hating gameguard, once it detects gamegaurds installer code, not enough memory to pop up the warning window.

Next thing, probably not the cause, you got the latest patches and updates done for your windows, drivers from vendor sites, etc??

You could try a disk error check, never know, one block of the installer on a bad sector of hard drive can cause all types of mischief. Start>My Computer>Right Click the Drive>Properties>Tools Tab>Error Check Click Check Now Button>Make Sure all options are checked>Click OK and reboot.

Maybe try defragmenting your drive afterward after the error check, if pieces of the file are stored in a thousand spots, that slows things down as the drive has to seek back and forth for each segment, this could cause an anti-virus on access scan to go even slower.

Next would be the registry, when was the last time you scanned it for errors and bloat? Piriforms CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) and Macecraft's PTLite (Powertools Lite Ver) both freeware are excellent tools to do this alone or as a 2 punch combo for accuracy. Make sure to back your registry up prior to doing a registry clean/repair with these tools using windows registry tool or when PTLite I know will prompt you to make a back up. After that, defrag the registry with Winmend's Registry Defragger. You'd be surprised just what a messed up registry will do to a windows install over time without maintenance of its own.

Finally
    Windows Vista or Windows 7 are you logged on as an Adminstrator Account? If so, are you right clicking the installer and selecting "Run As Administrator"? You'll need to do this once the game is installed afterward even if an Administrator, you have to tell Wiindows UAC to implicitly raise the program to maximum trust level to run.
    Windows Prior to Vista, you just need to be logged in as an Administrator.

Retired
    Account Passed On

The installation ended up crashing my computer and really damaging my hard-drive, so i had to put in my second hard drive to make my computer stable again. I don't know if it was from downloading the game but the evidence shows that it came from this game because it started acting up right after i downloaded it and tried to install the game. I know my computer can handle the game because i used to play it when it was owned by another company and i believe i ran that on an even older computer than this. Im just scared to try and download this game again, but i really want to :S